Saturday, May 22, 2010

Best of the week entry 5

Comes from Jasmine Baucham, daughter of Voddie Baucham, and she addresses the topic of young women and college, Should Young Women Go To College:

All I want to do is to encourage young ladies to rethink their presuppositions not only regarding education, but in regards to the aspirations that your education leads you to.

However, I can share with you, as a young woman, some of the reasons I decided against going off to school. It was more important for me to remain under the protection of my father and the discipleship of my mother than it was for me to travel cross-country to sit under the discipleship of others. I believe my primary calling is towards my home, and there is no other place I’d rather be, here in my family’s home for now, and, Lord bless, someday running a home of my own and educating my own children. I had no desire for a career that would take me away from that sphere. I believe that a Christian home is the best training ground that young women can be afforded, and that the safest place a young woman can be is under her parents’ authority.

For too long in our culture, parents have been training their daughters in the exact same way that they train their sons, launching their female arrows to go through life the same way their male arrows do. Fathers have been abdicating their duty to protect their daughters, mothers their duty towards discipleship and guidance. Young women have not only lost their femininity, but they’ve lost their desire for the biblical role that the Lord has called them to. We no longer want to be wives and mothers, and we no longer realize the power of that calling. As a result, many of us no longer realize what a unique time in our lives this can be, not only to take advantage of our ministry to our home and families, but the minister to others through that sphere.


I appreciate that she and her parents have taken the time to ask serious questions about the cost and the purpose of college education rather than just assuming that we need our kids, especially our daughters, to go to a traditional college and incur a ton of expense and debt. Very though provoking essay and written far better than a lot of stuff that comes from graduates of traditional colleges I might add!

Bookmark and Share

No comments: