Saturday, December 18, 2010

The little things make me happy

I have pretty much sworn off buying books. Between free books I get to review, books I already own that I haven't read and the library, I can't justify spending a bunch of money on books. The only time I purchase anything these days is when I get an Amazon gift card from my debit card rewards. Just so happens I just got my latest $25 card so I redeemed it this morning. You need to understand that as of this morning I have several hundred books in my wishlist and over 50 books "saved for later" in my cart. So when I get a gift card my goal is to buy a combination of books that get me as close to $25 without going over by very much as possible. So this morning I bought two books and the total was $25.77, so out of pocket I only spent $.77 and I got free shipping as well. That makes me inordinately giddy. I ordered Carl Trueman's book Republocrat, his look at political issues in the American church from the outlook of a European. It sounds like he challenges some of the conservative orthodoxy we assume in America as believers. The other book I ordered was one I have had my eye on for a long time, William Estep's The Anabaptist Story: An Introduction to Sixteenth-Century Anabaptism, a popular survey of Anabaptist history. So I am looking forward to these books, plus I am having them shipped to our new house which is pretty exciting.

Like I said, it is the little stuff that makes me happy!

No comments: