Friday, December 25, 2009

The real meaning of Christmas

But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. (Gal 4:4-5)

The Incarnate Son of God, who became flesh and dwelt among us, came at the appointed time to fulfill the Law and the prophets, to not just be a babe in a manger but to be a sacrifice for sins. He came not to live but to die, to satisfy the justice of God demanded by the Law and making propitiation for the sins of His elect sheep. The image of Christmas is not merely of a manger or figures in a creche but rather of a lonely cross where He would suffer and die. Without the cross, there is no Christmas. Praise God for His Son who left behind a perfect and glorious fellowship with the Father to live a life of poverty so that we may someday enjoy that same fellowship! Thank God for the redeeming sacrifice and the undeserved adoption that we who know Him and are known by Him enjoy.


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Joe VonDoloski said...

The real meaning of ChristMASS is a Catholic holiday brought out of pure paganism.

There is nothing Christian about it. I call it covetousness training for our children and I hope I never again hear about people baking a cake and singing happy birthday to Jesus to communicate the "true meaning" of the holiday(holy day) to their kids.

Arthur Sido said...

Now I am confused. You are outraged by Christmas as a papist plot but you defend the romanist model of clericalism? That seems a bit inconsistent.

Joe VonDoloski said...

I do not defend the romanist model of clericalism Arthur. (he who has ears to hear let him hear)

If you don't want to pay a pastor, that is fine with me, there is certainly liberty in such matters. Your points about the hireling mentality of churches are valid but you go too far imho. I would love to see you direct your passion towards many other topics that could use your intelligence and Spiritual gift of sarcastic commentary.

Arthur Sido said...

Joe, I write about what I am thinking about and what I think are the most urgent needs in the church. As I have mentioned before, this blog is less about a forum for discussion than it is a place for me to put into writing what I am thinking about.