Saturday, October 10, 2009

Creating discord and confusion

I have had the great blessing of being able to minister to a co-worker in little snippets throughout the day. She is a relatively new believer, getting married to someone who is not a believer. One of the things that has been very confusing to her is all of the denominations. How can we all be Christians and yet have all of these different churches. It is a legitimate question. That issue has confused believers for hundreds of years. Cults use it as a wedge issue. Rome says it proves that we all need to recognize her authority.

Denominations create implicit walls between God's people. If I am in this denomination, then I am clearly not in that denomination. I believe differently than you and again by implication that means that I think you are wrong about one or a myriad of issues. If I think you are correct about everything, I would be in your denomination instead of a different one. I used to be a big supporter of denominations. I thought it was a very useful way for people to know what a particular church believed. I knew I could avoid Methodist and Episcopalian churches because they were full of liberals. Presbyterian churches were full of baby sprinklers. Pentecostal churches were full of kooks speaking in tongues and handling snakes. I was able, at a glance, to eliminate from the pleasure of my fellowship an awful lot of people. I look back now and wonder how many brothers and sisters I never got to meet because they went to the "wrong" church. That was wrong of me and it is wrong now. We should seek genuine unity with one another.

We are called to be one Body, one people of God.

(Eric Carpenter has some great thoughts on this issue. See One Lord, one faith, one baptism-and unity)


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Steve said...

Because we see through the glass dimly, now, we will have these differences.

There is one Church, and Christ knows who is in it.

Every group that believes certain doctrines about the faith, is a denomination...whether the'll admit it or not.

It's really no big deal...it's just your point of view...what you value and do not value.

Arthur Sido said...

But for a lot of people, it IS a big deal.

Steve said...

That's truly a shame.

I do think we ought to remember that it isn't a barrier to our Lord.

Jonathan Chambers said...

Arthur,

I agree. God's been showing me quite a bit lately on what true unity really looks like. Paul spoke of these divisions in 1 Corinthians 1 saying that "you should all agree" and have one mind. And look at Jesus' prayer in John 17. It proves your co-workers view of the church. The unity or disunity of Christians is preaching a Gospel message to the world. The question is, what message? The message Jesus prays for is unity. When Christians are unified, then they will know and believe in Jesus Christ.

That's a proper ecclesiastical missional unity. A unity designed to be Gospel-driven that leads the world to King Jesus. If we continue denominationally separated for our own selfish preferences, then the world will never see Jesus as He was meant to be seen.

Lesslie Newbigin captured this missional unity of the church very well.

What are your thoughts on how to unify the Church more effectively and Christ-exaltingly?

IN Christ,
Jonathan Chambers