Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A tale of two halves

It is pretty common for us to emphasize certain areas of Scripture over others. I know I do and if you think you don’t do that, may I suggest you are kidding yourself.

I have to ask if there is any place that gets this treatment more starkly than 1 Corinthians 11? In the second half of 1 Corinthians, we have Paul speaking of the Lord’s Supper and those words are repeated in churches all over the world. Those words are known by most of the world’s Christians, at least to the point of recognizing them even if they couldn’t tell you where to find them in the Bible. I don’t know that any respectable Biblical scholar would suggest that Paul’s teachings on the Lord’s Supper are anything but universal.

But in the first half, we have a command and teaching that is treated completely differently. When faced with Paul’s admonition that women should cover their heads when praying and prophesying, and that to not do so is shameful, people stumble over themselves trying to explain it away. It is cultural, it is speaking of hair (when it clearly is not), it is only for Corinth, wedding rings replace head covers, etc.

Two doctrines in the same chapter. Two radically different approaches as if Paul shifted gears completely from one sentence to the next.

Well, you may say, that is because headcovering is not spoken of anywhere else in the Bible and the Lord’s Supper is. That is true. However, the idea of submission, of headship, of the creation order appears repeatedly throughout the Bible. This is not a new concept, it is a prevailing theme and it is manifested in the way men and women interact, but also in the wearing of a covering on the head of women. There is nothing in the text, or the surrounding text, that would imply this was a Corinthian problem. Even if you go back to 1 Cor 7:1 where Paul says: Now concerning the matters about which you wrote:, implying that he is answering specific questions posed to him by the church in Corinth, his answer is not specifically directed at Corinth but contains universal themes and truths. Paul does not say “because of Corinthian culture” or “because you have some gender confusion issues” or “your women are rebelling” or “because of those male prostitutes”. Nothing that indicates that these teachings are anything but universal.

On the other hand, Paul does reference specific issues found in Corinth when speaking of the Lord’s Supper (see specifically 1 Cor 11: 17-22). Yet we never hear anyone suggesting that the passages regarding the Lord’s Supper are cultural, or just for that time and place, or anything other than universal. As I have noted before, the Lord’s Supper is unquestioned as a command for the church despite its lack of specific directions on exactly how it should look. Many people are awfully dogmatic about specifics of the Supper in spite of the general silence on those same specifics in the Word, but when it comes to a clear statement like: “ but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head” (1 Cor 11: 5) and “But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head.” (1 Cor 11:6) , we see dismissals out of hand.

It is commonly noted among adherents of head covering that we don’t treat the doctrine of headcovering the same as we treat doctrines elsewhere in the Bible, but we also don’t treat headcovering in the same way we treat other doctrines in the same chapter! (I know the chapters don’t exist in the original language)

I am not suggesting we dismiss Paul’s writings on the Lord’s Supper as cultural. What I am suggesting is that we treat 1 Cor 11: 2-16 in the same manner we treat 1 Cor 11: 17-34. I am calling for consistency in how we “rightly handle” the Word of God.

8 comments:

I am the Clay said...

Hi, arthur. I appreciate the thought provoking post. I read thru the passages you shared on your post here.... I have some questions.. I hope you don't mind addressing them.

In the passage about head coverings... Paul tells women they are to cover their head when they pray and prophesy... correct? A man is not to cover his head.....

Paul then asks if it is ok for women to pray with their head uncovered? verse 13....

He then goes on to give what I belive is the *answer*:
" But long hair is a woman's glory . Long hair is given to her as a covering". verse 15

I believe Paul is telling us that the "head covering" is her hair..... what do you think? He doesn't talk about making a cloth or a blanket over her head.. but her "hair" is given to her as a covering.

I take this passage to mean, that God has given me my head covering - that is my hair.

I am not sure where the teaching of a cloth or blanket or hair net comes from.


Please explain.

Paul also warns us that some may wish to argue about this, but that the Church of God has no other practice. verse 16.

My passages are taken from the NCV version of the Bible.

I look forward to hearing your response.

God bless,
gloria

Anonymous said...

mm, Amen. This has been a verse that that I have had a hard time accepting. But the truth is, it's so hard to accept because I allow myself to be blocked by the present culture we live in. It's all vanity. It's so funny how we attempt to argue that Paul's statement was culturally influenced, when we fail to recognize that our own arguments are culturally influenced.

Thanks and God bless you for this post. Gives me something to think about.

~ A1chemist (livealchemy.wordpress.com)

Arthur Sido said...

Gloria,

That is a common question.

I guess the key verse is 1 Cor 11:6: For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head.

If her hair was her covering, then it would be saying: If she will not cover her head, let her not cover her head. He is saying that she might as well cut her hair off if she won’t cover her hair, and since that is also shameful, let her head be covered. It is almost, to use modern language, like Paul is saying well since you won’t dress modestly, you might as well go naked. Now we know that women shouldn’t run around naked, but more than that we know that women are to dress modestly. Not being naked is not enough, just as not having long hair is not enough. Lots of women have long hair and they are anything but submissive to their husband or recognizing his headship. The same with wedding rings.

I think the tendency is to skip ahead to verse 15 which speaks of her hair being a covering, but all of the preceding verses where Paul is making his argument seem to say that the covering is above and beyond her hair. Long hair is uniquely a feminine trait but Paul is saying that in addition to her hair, she ought to cover her head.

Does that make sense? Anyone else want to jump in here?

Unknown said...

Gloria,
If you look at the original Greek you might be a bit surprised!
The Greek has two words for Covering or Veil.
When it was first translated into English, the translators readily admitted that for the sake of convenience, they decided to translate them as one word.

One word is the natural covering, long hair, which is Kamao, and the other, Katakalupto is the fabric covering, meaning to cover over and to hang over.

You might enjoy reading Let Her Be Veiled compiled by Tom Shank.
It is available online. Just google it.
Nad, for what its worth, I moderate a headcovering yahoo group. You are welcome to join if you desire more discussion.
Its linked on our blog.

I think the most telling phrase for me, is the "because of the angels" Most certainly that is not cultural.
They watch us! They observe whether or not we are obedient!

I am the Clay said...

Thanks arthur & paula for taking time to explain and share... definately something to think about......

My concerns is to get "hung" up on things that are not salvational issues.

Arthur as you know I recently stepped out of a very legalistic church, and as a result I am very careful about anything that even has the appearance of legalism.

This is something I am going to need to study out and really pray about. I don't feel God has called me to wear dresses only or a head covering, but I do respect those that do. I do believe the bible says to dress modestly and that I do....

I am just very nervous about anything even remotely legalistic and I believe this issue is not a salvational issue, meaning I will not lose my salvation over it.

I do appreciate you taking time to respond and share.

God bless,
gloria

I am the Clay said...

P.S. in this passage paul says a woman is to cover her head to pray and prophesy.. so not other times of the day? So do you ladies only wear a head covering when praying and can I just put a scarf over me during prayer time?

Gloria

Unknown said...

Gloria, Using a scarf during times of prayer or ministry only is more of what this passage is talking about.
Yes, some do apply it in a legalistic manner, but I personally do not know of any that do, and I know tons of women that cover full time.
The reason most, myself included, cover most of the time, is because it gets just a wee bit frustrating taking a covering on and off, all day long :o)

I think the term legalism is over used today, and like you said, the possible appearence of it can be hard to deal with.
However, what is in the heart will always shine forth.
Those that do things out of legalism, wear legalism on their sleeves. It can't be hidden forever.

I am the Clay said...

Thanks, paula. I appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts with me on this. As I mentioned I need to take some time for further study and prayer about this issue.
God bless,
gloria