Wednesday, February 18, 2009

DeYoung, Restless, and Reformed: What I Mean By Reformed

DeYoung, Restless, and Reformed: What I Mean By Reformed:

I like much of what Kevin DeYoung says here in his definition of what it means to be Reformed, with the exception of his inclusion of his children in covenant of course! It is reflective of the humility that should come from Reformed theology instead of a superiority which many of us, me especially, sometimes exhibit toward others who may not agree. Reformed theology is Christocentric not Calvocentric and we all are well served to remember that.

His summary statement at the end was especially good...

"When I say I am Reformed I mean that God is the center of the universe and I am not. I mean that I am a worse sinner than I imagine and God is a greater Savior than I ever thought possible. I mean that Lord is my righteousness and the Lord alone is my boast. By Reformed I mean all this and most of all that my only comfort in life and in death is that I am not my own but belong, in body and in soul, to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever, amen."

I can certainly say amen to that!

1 comment:

James said...

Hmmm...you'd think the definition there would be Christian....wierd.