Friday, January 02, 2009

Fasting

I am not much of a faster. I have a hard time doing it without just being hungry. I also remember the mandatory "fast and testimonial Sunday" from mormonism when everyone fasted the first Sunday of the month. Plus if I fast I still need to make meals for everyone else which is hard. So I just don't do it much. But I think I need to start. No particular reason, but it is spoken of over and over again in the Bible and yet is paid little attention. If there is anyone who needs some self-denial, it is me.

The Desiring God blog had a good post on reasons for fasting, The Crazy Idea of Fasting in '09. From John Piper...

Jesus did not say, “If you fast...” but “When you fast...” (Matthew 6:16). This will be new (even over the top) for some of you. So do a crazy thing in 2009. It might change your relationship with God. And your life.

One of the reasons was for repenting for and grief over sin. Do any of us not have some sin in our lives that we need to address? Read this from Joel...

"Yet even now," declares the LORD, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; and rend your hearts and not your garments." Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love; and he relents over disaster. (Joel 2:12-13)

Fasting is part of the Christian life. Pick a time and do it. Don't make a big deal about it to others, but make a big deal about it in your life.

1 comment:

James said...

Arthur, if one could fast working a 9 hour shift in the grill at McDonald's, surely you could fast making dinner for 9....

NO NIBBLING!