Tuesday, February 08, 2011

The least of these locally

I have written quite a bit about orphan care in Haiti, a worthwhile and pressing cause. I am looking forward to going back to Haiti and being involved in America with raising awareness in the church about these precious orphans. Going to Haiti takes a lot of time and money though. What about the least of these right around me?

It is no shock that I am passionately pro-life. I find abortion to be an abomination and infanticide. But being pro-life in word is one thing, doing something to stem the tide is another. I am not a protest outside of an abortion clinic kind of guy but I think I have found a way to help. Many women find themselves pregnant and scared. Having a place to go to talk and be loved is crucial. The only advice they often find is from the father, who often wants to terminate his responsibility as cheaply as possible, or from "Planned Parenthood" which profits from killing children. So I am going to meet with the folks from our local crisis pregnancy center, A Hope Center, to see if I can put my money (or at least my time) where my mouth is. It is not enough to be anti-abortion, we must be pro-life and that means more than just holding a sign and screaming at people. It means recognizing that in a fallen world people make bad decisions and those people need someone to show them the love that Christ has shown us. This is a ministry to help the least of these right where I live and something the whole family can be involved in. I can't wait to see how we can be a blessing to women who are frightened and alone, to offer them support and hope in a world that clamors for them to go into a clinic to "fix" their problems.

2 comments:

mike barrow said...

Another good word here...Yes, you are right in that we often fall into the trap that we can only go and be these amazing missionaries in third world countries. There is a huge need, as you stated, right in our back yards. I cannot think of anyone more in need than these women who feel unloved and unwelcome in the body of Christ. What could be any more exciting than hearing, " well done...my good and faithful servant" I certainly will be praying for this adventure.

Les said...

Great post on a much needed topic. I can easily find myself so wrapped up in Haiti orphans that I can become forgetful about the needs right in my back yard.