Thursday, February 24, 2011

Headcovering Question for unmarried women and girls

(This is a question for those who practice headcovering. If you want to discuss the doctrine itself, I have lots of posts about the topic and would be happy to engage in conversation there)

As my daughters grow older, the question has come up in the family regarding when it is appropriate for girls to begin covering their heads. Should they wait until the arbitrary age of 18? Should they wait until they are married? What about waiting until they make a profession of faith in Christ?

The headcovering issue gets lengthy treatment in 1 Corinthians 11: 2-16 but it is also tied into the doctrines of gender more globally which go all the way back to the creation order and the Fall. So what is appropriate here?

One pivotal passage gives us a glimpse into what Paul is saying:

But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.(1 Cor 11: 3)

The language used elsewhere could apply to married women or unmarried women alike but in verse three the appeal Paul uses is the wife-husband-Christ chain, so it appears that Paul could be speaking of just wives. Most English translations translate the word as “wife” througout 1 Corinthans 11 but my understanding is that it could also mean women in general.

I question whether the idea of women praying with their heads uncovered is just applicable to women who are married but I am not at all sure when they should start.

I will say that I don’t think it makes any sense at all for young girls who have not been born-again to cover their heads. That can lead to a simple, legalistic observation of headcovering as “just what we do” and that loses the important underlying doctrines. Many Anabaptist descendent groups do have their young daughters cover, even very toddlers in some cases. I am pretty amazed that they can get very young girls to keep a covering on their heads but if it is something you get them used to, I can see it. I am not condemning those who cover young girls but I do wonder if it doesn’t lead to an empty formalism where they cover their head for no better reason that it is what they have always done.

So what to do? When is it appropriate to cover? Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can see both sides to the argument, but the caution I have always felt, is what if a girl/woman is meant to be single?
Does she go through life uncovered?

I grew up in a group that covers for meeting, and usually the girls start around puberty, as long as a profession had been made.
I grew to desire "fulltime" covering in my mid twenties, at least 6 years before I got married.

I am reminded of the Orthodox Jewish stance.
Only married women cover. They view it as a modesty issue, so reserve it as a protection and a sign of marriage.
I think that is the caution I see if one were to relegate to marrieds only.

I view the verse on order as just that. Order.
Not a verse that states when to cover.
Paula

James said...

I was thinking about this morning. Maybe I am a little too logical about it...But hey, what's a little logic between Covenant theologians?

If a woman is under the covenant of her father until she is married, and her vows as such are controlled by that covenant relationship, would not submission to her father and the LORD be reflected similarly as if it were a husband replacing that relationship?

Arthur Sido said...

James, can you expand on what covenant daughters are under with her father?

Arthur Sido said...

Paula,

I had a friend ask that very question (she is single and older and is likely to stay that way). My wife covers full-time but our daughters don't, even the older ones that have professed Christ. Still working through it.

Unknown said...

Do your daughters desire to cover?
To me, in way, it falls under the understanding and accountability of the Believer.
If a female is old enough to confess Christ fully, and is understanding of and partaking in communion, then I would think head covering would be somewhere in the process.

Daughters are under their fathers authority, but in no way do they have to go through him to pray to the Father. Nor do they rely on their father to make or break their salvation.
They are still fully responsible before the Lord as an individual for where they will place their trust.
Paula