Monday, February 14, 2011

Book Review: Tithing

So I read Tithing: Test Me In This by Douglas Leblanc. Tithing is an issue that I have done some study on before even requesting the book and I will admit to having a negative predisposition before it even arrived. Book Sneeze asks for an unbiased review, so here it is. This was just a numbingly uninteresting book. It amounts to little more than a series of anecdotes and a diverse group of people stating their personal opinions about why tithing is swell and how, in many cases, God has faithfully given them money mysteriously. Sure it isn’t technically prosperity teaching but there is a certain element of that ideology that runs rampant throughout. I frankly found it not only uninteresting but doctrinally dangerous.

I understand that the point most of the folks interview were making was not that tithing is commanded but a spiritual discipline (hence the name of the series) but the problem remains that in reading the various interviews you get the impression that these folks have done very little to study the idea of tithing as an Old Testament practice and don’t see the difference between bringing your tithe into the storehouse and contributing money to your local church.

There is a lot to be said about faithful giving in the church, about caring for the needs of our brothers, about how Christians should view money. Setting a baseline 10% based on a poor understanding of Old Testament tithing and applying it to the church is unhelpful. I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone. That might seem harsh but I didn’t come away with anything even remotely redeeming about it.

I received Tithing: The Ancient Practices Series as part of the Book Sneeze program in return for posting an unbiased review.

5 comments:

Tim A said...

The devil's schemes are so clever in corrupting God's people. I believe in storehouse giving. I am a temple, a dwelling place of God, so I am a storehouse. I "purpose in my heart" (as Paul instructs in 2 Cor. 8 & 9) and set aside a certain mount each paycheck. It goes into an interest bearing account right off the top. I store it up and I dish it out as God directs. Some goes out monthly to existing commitments and the rest is stored up for larger needs. I try to give straight as possible to the need to avoid as much as possible institutions skimming off a percentage for their overhead. I don't insist in giving only where there is a tax deduction possible. I don't fund anyone to give me a weekly Bible lecture or to separate off the children to other rooms, or to build a special building for crowd oriented gatherings of more than 40. I call it 100% giving beyond me. No pooling for me.

I've seen statistics where the average believer gives 2.3% of his income. This is pathetic in the richest country in the world. I don't think God will convict believers to give any more than that because he knows that institutionalized giving sucks up 75 - 86% of the giving to buy goodies for the giver - which is not giving. It's pooling. When He sees believers directing their giving beyond themselves, he will give conviction and wisdom how to invest greater percentages in building His kingdom.

As a sower of seed, I have seen God supply additional seed to me. A high percentage of businesses like mine around the country are gone. Our is thriving. God's supply of customers is the only answer.

Arthur Sido said...

Tim,

I agree with the overhead issue. I think it is always best to give to groups where the money is going to those in need rather than to pay for staff and offices, whether those offices are a non-profit or a local church. Oddly, if you give a large percentage of your income directly to those in need but none to a local church, many would accuse you of being an unfaithful steward of your money.

Tim A said...

"...many would accuse you of being an unfaithful steward of your money."

I have answers from God's Word for these accusations. Let them come.

Ur Man CD said...

So, Arthur, this was not a runner for your book of the year then? Thanks for the review, I appreciate these because covering some important issues of church practice, it is important to read good productive pieces. If this book is not going to help, then it's good to avoid it or look for others - are there any on the subject of giving that you would recommend?

Anonymous said...

Great Review! I knew this book was going to be a prosperity teaching so I was looking through the reviews with almost no stars so I could read and see if it was worth requesting so I could "join the debate" about tithing, but it seems there are not even many scriptures to debate against, just a bunch of stories. Your review has kept me from "wasting" a request to review this book on booksneeze. Thanks for the review!