Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Why Haiti?

So why Haiti of all places? There are needs all over the world, why this one country, why this particular cause? Why the Haiti Orphan Project?

Well there are lots of reasons.

First, because this cause is better than none. Let me explain. It is easy to talk about caring for the least of these in an academic sense. Putting forth a solid theology of orphan care is nice but we are not called to be a people of talk, but of action. God saved us and He saved us for a specific purpose:

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10)

We are not saved by good works but we most certainly are saved to them. As I will mention below, I believe that this cause is one of those “good works” that God has prepared for me long before I was born to carry out as His child and to bring honor and glory to the name of His Son. God did not predestine us just to salvation but to good works as well. There are no sidelines in the Kingdom of God.

Second, because I sort of know someone who is involved. I “know” Les Prouty, the executive director of the Haiti Orphan Project because we have run into one another over the internet (in a non-creepy way), initially from good natured but spirited arguments with Les regarding his erroneous view of baptism. He is someone I respect and trust so when I saw that he was involved in this cause, I decided to look a little closer. You have to be careful with that because you never know what that will get you into. In my case it is getting me into a plane and leaving the country. Considering that I have never been to a foreign country before (I don’t consider Canada to be a real country), this is going to be a jarring experience but one that I pray will stretch me and fill me with zeal for His Kingdom.

Third, the need is so great. This is a tragic situation the scope of which we cannot even imagine as Americans. With literally hundreds of thousands of orphans how can it be otherwise? In a country with it’s act together that would be a staggering number but Haiti has been basically adrift since the earthquake last January and even before that has been going from one crisis and upheaval to another for 200 years. Haiti is parked just a short flight from Miami and in the middle of the Caribbean. By all rights Haiti should be a lush tropical paradise and a destination for tourists but of all of the nations in the Western hemisphere, Haiti is generally considered the worst off and the events of the last year have made it so much worse. Every child we can impact will hopefully grow into an adult who will first and foremost know Jesus Christ and also be equipped to lead this nation out of the bondage of two hundred years of mismanagement, corruption and violence. It can seem hopeless but if something isn’t done in Haiti from the ground up the same problems will still be in place two hundred years from now.

Fourth, 100% of the funds raised go directly to ministry. This is a small group but one that has an outsized impact. Because of the way the Haiti Orphan Project is structured, there is no overhead. The individuals going all raise all of their own funds for these trips (thanks mom!) and unlike some of the huge mercy ministry organizations none of the funds given to the Haiti Orphan Project go to pay for staff or overhead. From the webpage of the HOP:

1. 100% of your tax-deductible gifts are used to care for orphans. Care includes housing, food & water, clothing and school, as well as the local Haitian people actually caring for these children. NONE of your contributions are used to cover overhead here in the US such as salaries, administrative costs, supplies, printing, etc. The overhead is funded from generous donors to ensure that your gifts go entirely to orphan care.

I am leery of donating to places that spend a large percentage of their costs on overhead. I understand why it can be necessary but I prefer to give where my donation goes right to the need instead of paying the light bill in an office in Dallas or Portland.

Fifth, I feel called. I say that cautiously because I think it is an overused term in the church. “I feel called” often really means “This is what I decided to do and I hope God is OK with it” but in this case I think it really applies. From the beginning I was shaken by the catastrophic earthquake and aftermath of Haiti. As I watched in dismay over what was happening, I began to understand the impact this was having on Haitians in general but especially on the children. With some 750,000 orphans the need is immediate and severe and it was something that really stuck with me in a way that other catastrophes didn’t. There was just something about this country, something about the pictures of the children with smiles and faces full of hope in a country where by rights they have precious little expectation of anything good that draws me in.

If you are working with and actively supporting a mercy ministry, whether it involves you traveling to Ethiopia or Brazil or some other far away land or whether you are involved in a local ministry like a homeless shelter or crisis pregnancy center, God be with you. If you are a follower of Christ and haven’t really gotten directly involved with ministry outside of your local church, please prayerfully consider supporting and advocating for Haiti’s orphans. If you are so led, please check out their webpage here. If you have any questions, there is a contact form on the webpage and you can expect to hear back from Les in a hurry (unless he is in Haiti at the time!).

4 comments:

Les said...

By the way, we'll settle that baptism thing once and for all in Haiti. Smiley face here.

Ken Davidson said...

Wow! Its refreshing to see my fellow christians demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ to the down trodden. I'm a retired federal employee (Forestry Research), who went on a missions trip to Fond Parisian, Haiti in June, 2010. I worked for the "Love A Child" organization and stayed in their village at Fond Parisian. They too are doing God's work. Will you have any mission trips for volunteers in 2011? I live in Salem, Missouri, 25 miles south of Rolla.

Arthur Sido said...

Ken,

Good to hear from you!

I would imagine there will be additional mission trips in 2011. The Haiti Orphan project is actually headquartered out of St. Louis, MO. I am not sure where that is in relationship to Salem, MO. If you go to their webpage (link is on the right of my blog or go to http://www.haitiorphanproject.org ) you can get in contact with Les and the folks in MO.

Norma Hill - aka penandpapermama said...

WHAT?!?!?! You don't consider Canada to be a real country???!!! Does this mean it's time to un-follow you? I'm so injured!

Okay, well, I guess I'll survive...

Anyway, just want to say that I found this post really interesting. I especially like that 100% of the donations go to the care of the Haitian orphans.

I do have a question. I am wondering about the travel costs etc involved in these kinds of mission trips. I can see how there is value in long-term trips, but it seems like so many folks go on relatively expensive short-term trips (sometimes repeatedly) and I wonder if the travel cost funds could not be used better just given directly to those who are there and are really involved for the long-term, truly building relationships, building long-term infrastructure, helping people rebuild their lives over time - making a real difference?

This is not a criticism but an honest question. I have had opportunity to go to Haiti myself, for a short-term "mission trip," and even got my passport and shots etc, but have not yet gone because I wonder if anything I could do in the short-term would be of real value? I guess I wonder this because I have been involved in local street ministry long enough to see that "drop-in" help is sometimes more hindrance than help...

Love to hear your thoughts about this once you have been there. Thanks.