Monday, January 10, 2011

Something is missing

I am working through my list of things to prepare for our impending trip to Haiti. I can hardly believe it is a few days away. It seemed like a distant event that has all of a sudden rushed up on us. Changing jobs, buying a house and moving my entire family over the last month or so might have something to do with that! But here we are and I am leaving this week. I wonder if I have everything I am going to need? Let me think…

Pre-Haiti very short haircut?

Check.

Caucasian, middle-class Teva touristy sandals that I have been wearing around the house to break in?

Check.

Books for reading during the long layover in Miami both directions (The Anabaptist Story: An Introduction To Sixteenth Century Anabaptism by William Estep and Republocrat by Carl Trueman)?

Check.

Hepatitis shots and malaria medication regime?

Check, check.

An assortment of shirts from Monergism to impress the Haitian orphans who can’t read English with my theological acumen?

Check.

Prayer?

Ah ha. Need more of that. Lots more.

I know a fair number of people read here on a semi-regular basis and many are not in a position to contribute financially to the Haiti Orphan Project or they are already investing in a ministry that has similar goals. I would certainly encourage you to consider giving to this particular ministry, not because I or anyone I know financially benefits from it but because the need is so enormous and so overwhelming. More on this in a post tomorrow.

What you can do, even if you are not in a position to help financially, is to pray. I truly mean that and not just in a “pray while you are filling out your check” kind of way. I would ask for you to pray for me, for my family while I am gone, for my fellow travelers and for the people and especially the orphans of Haiti. Pray that God will rouse His people to a holy indignation at the conditions of these children and that we will be roused to seek to minister to these children in Haiti as well as for the orphans and widows around the world and in our own towns.

If you are a church leader, please pray regarding support for the orphans of Haiti. Expect to hear from me directly if I know you to see about visiting the Body of Christ in your area to raise support after I get back. I am uncomfortable trying to raise money for myself but I have no qualms about raising money that goes to orphans. You have been warned.

Seriously though. Please pray.

3 comments:

James said...

Your list is severely lacking.

You missed, Bible and uhhh...Holy Spirit? :)

Arthur Sido said...

Well seeing as how I am indwelt by the Spirit and He goes where He wants, I thought it presumptive of me to try to list Him. I will be packing a Bible of course, probably NOT my ESV study bible tho'

Bean said...

Arthur, I will pray that you have a safe trip to Haiti.

God speed,