Wednesday, January 19, 2011

OK I surrender

I have to admit to defeat in the war to obtain internet for our house. AT&T finally admitted that they cannot provide service at this time. Mediacom, the local cable provider, also cannot service our house. Hughes probably can but the cost is outrageous and they have somewhat draconian limits on how much you can access in a day. I find dial-up to be pretty expensive for what you get. So it looks like we are going to be an internet-free zone at our new home. That is in almost every way a good thing. The expense of internet is quite high and the value of the content is quite low. There has never been a better time waster, even more so than TV.

That doesn’t mean we won’t ever be online. I have access at work and we have access through our phone, as long as we are standing in the right place in our house. We also plan on making regular visits in the evening or perhaps during the day to the “local” library which is ten miles away. So we will stay connected. Having said that, being online is going to be a lot less convenient. Trying to do much on my phone is pretty cumbersome. Driving to a library ten miles away? Ditto. I think this will be helpful for us and especially me. It is really easy for me to get lost reading stuff online and end up spending hours in front of the computer doing nothing and especially doing nothing with the kids. We have been doing just fine without it, so I think that at the end of the day it will be a good change for us.

3 comments:

Chad said...

Sounds like you have a smart phone. Does it support tethering? That would allow your phone to basically become a hotspot for other devices in your home. You'd need quite the data plan for that though. Good luck being unplugged. I have a feeling you and your family will be blessed by it.

Arthur Sido said...

Chad, I think it does. I am not sure what I would need to do but I might look into it.

Les said...

I think Verizon and/or ATT have a plan for an air card or whatever they call it. Internet is picked up via something you plug into your computer.