Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bible study at work

Starting this Thursday I am going to be facilitating a Bible study at work during the lunch hour. We are going to work through John from start to finish. I chose John because it is such a rich book for study and really establishes some key doctrines about the Gospel and the person of Christ (plus I have a fair number of resource materials on John that I can refer to).

It should be an interesting study and we have pretty decent interest given that there are only about 40 people who work for us. Several of my co-workers who are interested are Roman Catholic, one person used to be involved with the Jehovah’s Witnesses and several are either new Christians or not Christians at all. A few people don’t have a Bible so I encouraged them to check out John 1:1-18 online.

I know this enterprise is fraught with peril, primarily the peril of me trying to impose my position on others by force of will and clever arguments. It is very hard for me not to assume an authoritative position when in a mixed group especially when many people have less of a background in theology than me. Old habits die hard! My task here is to continually focus on Jesus Christ and not on me and what I want to teach. I am far more interested in drawing people into a conversation about Jesus than in delivering a series of lectures to my co-workers.

2 comments:

Steve Miller said...

You have a lot of honest, thoughtful things to say. I think you'll have a great Bible study.

Mark said...

I love your heart, Arthur. Coming from someone who is studying to show himself approved, but hasn't studied to the extent that you have, I appreciate the humility and honesty that you exhibit. I think it would be easy for someone in your position to do just as you described. I have appreciated those that are elders in my life valuing my opinion on scripture, and still be able to offer their on views. This helps foster an independent analysis on my part, and teaches me to not rely on them for milk, but learn to get the meat for myself. I am sure it will be a great study.