Saturday, June 19, 2010

Best of the week entry 2

Comes from an unusual source, Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, writing for WorldNet Daily. His editorial, The contempt shown to parents of large families, takes on the contemptuous attitude shown to large families in our culture, sadly even among people who should know better.

Why is it that even many synagogues today are not children friendly? Why are people impressed that Jay Leno owns 20 motorcycles, but disgusted that some religious families choose to have 10 children?

Let's not finesse the response. We all know why. A world that has lost its innocence has trouble appreciating beings who are innocent. A world that has become selfish has soured to the idea of leading a life of selflessness. A world that has become grossly materialistic is turned off to the idea of more dependents who consume resources. And a world that mistakenly believes that freedom means a lack of responsibility is opposed to the idea of needy creatures who "tie you down."

They can go fly a kite.

By just looking at my children, I become more innocent. By loving them, I become more noble. By spending my money on them rather than myself, I find transcendence. And by being a father and liberating all of the love in my heart, my spirit soars free. I work hard to support a large family and I give up no pleasures in doing so because my children are my foremost pleasure.


It sounds like this is especially true among the Jewish population but there are plenty of Christians who look at large families with a mixture of curiosity and horror. If I had a nickel for everyone that said to me "Wow, that is great that you have a big family but I could never do that", I would be rich. It just doesn't make sense to me that God's people limit His blessing of children because of the perception that the blessing of children is just too expensive and hard.

No comments: