Friday, July 15, 2011

What is the church?

An interesting discussion going on over at Patheos on that topic regarding a post by Scot McKnight, Perplexed about the Church? 2. Scot is looking at some of the ways we define the church, including the early confession of "I believe in the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church" as well as the more "modern" Protestant Reformation ideals of the Word rightly preached, the sacraments rightly administered and church discipline rightly practiced. The conversation has gotten somewhat heated but the points being raised are important ones. You should check it out, I am knee deep in the conversation already (shocker, I know).

2 comments:

ContrarianSoul said...

Very good discussion. I'm glad you waded in!

Anonymous said...

I believe the church is fundamentally an educational institution. I believe that God appeals to us primarily through the mind. I believe that very few people exercise their minds at church (or otherwise). I believe that very little learning goes on in church. I believe that most church services militate against learning. I believe that most small groups militate against learning Bible. I believe that most church leaders are woefully ill equipped to teach. I believe that most evangelicals are biblically illiterate.