Monday, July 04, 2011

Lessons learned from a waterpark

We went to Splash Universe waterpark in Shipshewana, Indiana yesterday and I came away with a few observations...

1. The Shipshewana area is home to one of the largest Amish settlements in the country and unlike our local Amish the tourism industry is on full display there. I am quite glad to live among a large population of Amish without all of the tourist traps!

2. Many women don't seem to get that the bikini that looks so good on a size 2 model in the catalog does not necessarily look good on you. Somewhere in the last ten years or so women have completely lost any sense of appropriateness in attire based on their size and their age.

3. Also, I think I might be married to one of the few women left under the age of 45 who is not sporting a tattoo. Growing up, and even up until recently, tattoos on women were relegated to biker chicks. Today they are all over the place. I don't get it.

4. Offering a $7 commemorative cup with free family refills is bad business when the family in question has ten members and got probably close to ten refills.

Just a few things I picked up. We had a lot of fun though and the house is very, very quiet this morning thanks to a great many sleepy children exhausted from playing hard at the waterpark!

4 comments:

Swanny said...

#2 and #3 made me laugh out loud. My wife and I were just in Florida at a resort and was talking about this very thing. We were sitting on our balcony looking over one of the pools and was shocked at what some rather hefty men and women were wearing.

I am too in awe of the complete disregard for our eyeballs :)

Swanny

Arthur Sido said...

Swanny, I wanted to squirt battery acid in my eyes because it would have been less painful!

Swanny said...

hilarious!

Aussie John said...

Arthur,

I must not be so prudish, or old fashioned as I supposed.

I still think a woman of any age, not only looks better in a full piece swimsuit (not-neck-to-knee), but more attractive.

We call the swim briefs that men wear, "budgie smugglers" ("budgie" is a very small Australian parrot). I expect the reason for the name might be obvious.

Tattoos? Why?

The chlorine odour at our water- parks is obnoxious.