Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Leonardo DaVinci's The Last Supper


A means of grace?

The theology and practice of the Lord's Supper has kind of been weighing heavily on my mind for some weeks now. What does it represent, how real is the presence, how often ought we partake of the supper? What has really been bugging me is the last White Horse Inn, where the topic was not the Lord's Supper, but where twice it was brought up as being a "means of grace" (more on what the WHI boys said in a later post). That term really was bugging me. What do our more liturgical, high church type Reformed brothers mean by that term. What do Baptists mean by it? Most importantly, what does the Bible say about it? Not what do our confessions and creeds say the Bible says about it, what does the actual Word say? So that is kind of my task at hand, more for my own edification than any other reason. How should we administer this vital ordinance of the church?

No comments: