Monday, December 29, 2008

Great Quote

If you look about halfway down the left side of this page, I have a widget that brings up a daily quote from a blog called Of First Importance. The quotes typically come from books, most of which are by Reformed authors and they are almost always great. The one I looked at today (from a couple days ago) is a great one and one I wanted to post again...


“There really is no place for Christ in many people’s Christianity. Their faith is not actually in Christ; it is in Christianity and their ability to live it out. This kind of ‘Christianity’ is really about shadow glories of human knowledge and performance. It does not require the death to self that must always happen if love for Christ is going to reign in our hearts.”

- Paul David Tripp, A Quest for More (Greensboro, NC; New Growth Press, 2007), 106.

Faith in Christianity and our ability to live it out, not in Christ. How terribly true that is! I know I too often place my trust in my own knowledge and my ability to live out the "Christian life" only to fail miserably (again, and again, and again...). My problem is not that I fail to obey enough, it is that I think I can be sufficiently obedient at all. It is only by dying to self that we can truly live a life of obedience to Him.

No comments: