Monday, August 15, 2011

More on the get off my lawn antics out of California

I am not sure anyone who reads my blog anymore finds this interesting but I thought this was a good response to the MacArthur kerfuffle (see my post here): Memo to the Old, Grumpy and Reformed: You are Swinging and Missing | Ordinary Pastor. There are two major factors that hamper the effective Kingdom impact among the contemporary Reformed. One is the clinging to traditions that have minimal Scriptural support and making them fellowship dividing issues. The other is the constant infighting and attacks. I have penned more than a few posts and quite a few comments slugging it out with other Reformed believers over secondary and sometimes silly stuff while people down the street died in their sins. No more. I would rather share a cup of coffee with an egalitarian, Pentecostal, dispensational, Arminian who is out preaching the Gospel to the lost than an uptight, self-important Reformed believer who gets every jot and tittle of doctrine right but can't be bothered to put down his latest book on Reformed theology to witness to someone who is lost or show mercy to someone who is hurting. Doing the work of the Kingdom is perilous enough without worrying about who is sticking a knife in your back because of some pet peeve they can't get around.

1 comment:

Mike Jones said...

Amen, brother!!!! Oh, that believers would unite over what unites, than divide or what divides!

Men on earth will always find things to disagree about. I mean, I've seen arguments on the relative health benefits of sea salt versus regular salt, for goodness sake! Mind-blowing triviality!

So often we do the same in our churches and with our Jesus Christ believing brothers and sisters in the family of God. I agree with you, this should not be!

A new commandment Jesus gave us, in John 13 Jesus says, " Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another".

Remember, the disciples came to Jesus in Mark 9, saying "Teacher, we saw a man using your name to cast out demons, but we told him to stop because he isn't one of our group." "Don't stop him!" Jesus said. "No one who performs miracles in my name will soon be able to speak evil of me. Anyone who is not against us is for us. If anyone gives you even a cup of water because you belong to the Messiah, I assure you, that person will be rewarded."

Loving Jesus is the key. I say lets lock arms with anyone who loves Jesus, even if I disagree on small points, because we agree on the BIG point - loving Jesus.