Thursday, August 18, 2011

Can’t. Look. Away.

I have to admit something about what I have been looking at online. I am a bit ashamed to admit it publically like this but here it is. I have followed not one, but two, theological mudfights with all of the vigor of an SEC alum watching the Auburn-Alabama game between delivering pizzas.

Both the generational war between John MacArthur and those young whippersnappers in the YRR movement over beer and the far more unseemly and borderline grotesque arguments over Mark Driscoll and the….vivid…visions he claims to get from the pulpit have sucked me in. There is no venue quite like the world of reformed blogging to take serious issues and turn them into contests of “gotcha!” and one-upmanship comments. I just can’t look away, it is like a serious car accident that causes rubbernecking. The sad thing is that the questions that have been raised are serious and important but have been by and large treated like an excuse to sucker punch someone at a bar (there I go with alcohol references again, don’t tell JMac).

Seriously, I have issues. I think I am going to post a couple of articles about both issues as catharsis.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am finding myself rubbernecking past the same gruesome scenes. It seems many involved in the "conversation" have fingers firmly inserted into their ears and are scouring the ground for stones to throw. But it was your comments there that brought me to your blog so hey, can't be all bad. :-)

Arthur Sido said...

Jason, what I wonder is how many people who are commenting have ever met any of the people they are judging. Public proclamation is one thing but you can't really know a man you don't know.

David Rudd said...

right there with you... and a bit disappointed in myself for it.

Unknown said...

Arthur, while I have read blogs and articles for years I have intentionally kept myself from the conversation. I was convicted that I needed to be more willing to engage and try to stand for truth. I am not sure this is a forum that is conducive to that. It seems Christian love or even pagan civility are optional online. Those who call for it are seemingly castigated as "tone police."