Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Coming soon

I am still working through the massive biography of Bonhoeffer (it is pretty dry in places) but I also have a new book on the way that I have been very interested in for some time, David Platt’s Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream. I am increasingly convinced that the affluence and culture of America, long assumed to be a wonderful blessing, has in many ways been a great impediment to the Gospel proclamation and Christian discipleship. This book seems right up my alley in that respect.

I am curious just how radical Platt is willing to go in this book. It can be hard even when you recognize the underlying problem to see it outside of the cultural boundaries that we have built around the church for centuries. Is it somewhat radical like Jim Belcher’s Deep Church which left one foot firmly planted in the traditional church culture or is it really radical? Being radical to some people means modifying the order of service or not wearing a tie when you deliver a sermon. Real radicalism is more die to yourself, take up your cross kind of stuff.

The book is highly acclaimed in the church, especially among some corners of the Southern Baptist Convention but I will of course reserve judgment. I think anything that stirs the pot and makes people step back and ask hard questions is valuable. I am concerned that if it is as popular as it seems to be, can it be as radical as it purports to be? We will find out!

1 comment:

Paul Woods said...

My father-in-law put Platt's book in my hand this weekend and said he was going through it with a small group at his church. I immediately thought of you and had planned to check and see if you had reviewed it. I too, wonder if it can be real radical considering the six mainstream Southern Baptist recommendations printed in the book. I hope I am wrong.