Saturday, September 04, 2010

Best of the week entry 1

Mark at Called Out In Kansas has a great, heartfelt post on the real difficulties in community: Community is Hard Work.

I talk plenty about community. I long for community. I love relationships and desire to develop relationships in Christ.

….sometimes.

You see, I find that my flesh gets in the way of my experience of community, because I am either selfish, and don’t want to share those I am close to with others, or I am afraid to reach out for fear of rejection, or I would just rather be alone and not mess with other people. I know, it sounds awful, and it is.

Like Mark I often talk about community and we both know it is eminently Biblical but it can be difficult for a culture like ours that cherishes religious ritual and self-interest. Biblical community is hard work, far harder than anonymously showing up at "church", putting on your Sunday best and a smile and then going home.

Church is easy. Community is hard.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Arthur,

I loved your comment to my post, that being the church is much harder than writing about it. It really takes dying to self, to our own interests, needs and wants, and considering others before ourselves. This was, after all, the example of Christ.