Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday: The most selfish day of the week

joshgelatt.com: When traditions become barriers

Great thoughts from my friend Josh after a funeral service. Very raw in emotion but he asks some piercing questions. Here is an excerpt:

We've abandoned Jesus' great mission of taking every effort to "seek and save the lost", satisfied instead with a church service that was designed only for ourselves. In short, we've willingly sacrificed commission for comfort and activity for idleness.

I had been given the opportunity to meet a group of people at their level, but instead I did what I felt was more comfortable. The occasion called for camo, but I insisted on a suit. I was a fool--and a selfish one at that.

Far too many of us are. Sunday morning has become our most selfish day. What we call 'bringing God glory' is little more than an exercise of the familiar and safe.

As you enjoy the fellowship of God's people today, read Josh's thoughts and see how you would respond to these questions. You might find the answers disconcerting.

No comments: