Tuesday, August 03, 2010

What to do?

It is probably an enormous shock to you that I think a lot about the church and about community. You will likewise be shocked to learn that I find by and large that the most common form of the church gathering is is a pale shadow of what Biblical community is supposed to look like. I have lots of thoughts about what is wrong and some general ideas on how to fix it.

In spite of this, I and a lot of other people who are seeking community are gathering with the church in some variation of the traditional church on Sunday mornings. Where we gather is far less traditional than many institutional churches but it still looks a lot more like the traditional Western church than it does the New Testament church. We still meet on a pretty rigid schedule, have strong guidelines about what we do and when we do it and generally don't meet much outside of the normal Sunday/Wednesday meetings and some additional Bible studies, etc. It is a source of frustration for us, something we were talking about until 2 AM Saturday night.

It simply seems that are not a lot of other Christians who are terribly interested in a sacrificial, tight-knit community. I get weird looks when I talk about intentional community and simplicity in the church gathering. Suggestions that the we way we "do church" might not be reflective of what Scripture teaches are received with looks of stunned amazement. The majority report is that the gathering of the church should be something we schedule along with the rest of what we do during the week like picking up dry cleaning and piano lessons and that is all that is expected or should be expected. Among those who are interested in Christian community, there are a lot of barriers stemming from extra-Biblical traditions and a desire to be in community but only on certain terms. There are a ton of people advertising for Christian community on the web but most of them have already established what it looks like and on what terms they would be in fellowship.

I will admit freely that I would pack up and move for the right opportunity to be in community with the church if that was where God was leading us. I just don't know if that is the right thing to do. If a group of Christians wanted to get together somewhere and we could agree on the basics, I would be there. Of course that is a taller order than it might seem. Plus there are issues of finding jobs and housing. Being an American with all that entails makes community that much harder. We have expectations for lifestyle and for amenities that make aspects of community difficult. Still, with the right people and the right situation, we could make it happen. I think we are to the place where we are ready to take that plunge.

So I don't know what to do. I am pretty frustrated and since I am an impatient person by nature that impatience makes it worse.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what you're saying is that you're moving to Missouri to hang out with Bethany and I, right? :P

In all seriousness, I understand and share much of your frustration and feeling of "what now?", if it's any consolation.

Bethany W. said...

Arthur,
The topic of fellowship is near and dear to our family! We are having a hard time finding a community that believes what we believe (Reformed... or at the very least, they do not regularly call us heretics). And, even if we can find a group of believers who are Reformed (and they are almost always paedobaptist), do they want REAL fellowship. I'm not talking about the doughnuts and coffee between Sunday School and worship, I am talking about getting together throughout the week, calling each other, sharing meals together, lending a hand when you're sick, kind of fellowship.

Paul and I are just ACHING for real fellowship, real friends. And, every time we try to talk about where our heart is on this issue we are given "the look." You know, the blank stare that says nothing is registering on the other end. OR, one time I had a pastor get out-right angry at me! He said, "So you are saying that our weekly meal is not good enough for you?" I must have turned 20 shades of red, because I LOVE the weekly meal! What I did NOT love, was that I did not see anyone or hear from anyone Monday through Saturday. And, when it came to Sunday meal time, I was more inclined to say "I'm fine," when asked, rather than, "Sister, I need prayer. My son hates the Lord, and I don't know where to begin to reach him!"

Paul and I talk for hours and hours about this topic. We are driving long distances to visit new churches, to see if we can find anyone who is like-minded on this issue. We would certainly be willing to move for this! That is one of the reasons we have not moved from our moldy house yet... we don't know where to go!

With sadness,
Bethany

Arthur Sido said...

April,

Actually I would be open to maybe Iowa (there are several jobs open in Des Moines and Dubuque that are in my field), not sure about Missouri though. Too hot!

Bethany,

I know what you are saying. It is not that we don't appreciate the fellowship we have, including a weekly meal, it is just that we want more fellowship with other believers. The reaction of some people to Christians expressing a desire to spend more time with them is puzzling.

Becky said...

My husband is part of a ministry that calls itself Unleavened Bread Ministries (UBM). UBM has recently "migrated" to Tennessee where the bretheren live in a way that you describe here. We haven't moved there yet, but feel the Lord will make a way for us soon.

Mark said...

Arthur,

Apart from moving to Larned, KS, where it was 110 degrees F yesterday, I would recommend being a seed.

What I mean is the following. The Lord has planted you where He wants you to be, and maybe you find yourself alone because he intends to use you as a conduit for Him to build what He wants in His body. In reading your blog I can't say that I've disagreed with a single thing you've said about church-life and community. You are right on. So maybe he's planted that understanding in you, so you can function as his "apostle" to begin the work he desires. I put apostle in parentheses as your primary gifting may not be as an apostle (or it may be), but that wouldn't keep Him from using you in that capacity in this instance. I find myself in a situation where a year ago I had no fellowship in my town. No the Lord has begun knitting us with 7 other believers, and we believe greater things are coming. Patience is the hard part, I understand that. And for me understanding that He can use me for the task at hand, even if I don't feel adequate.

Be encouraged brother! One thing I love about the blogosphere is the global networking that is occurring. Although we can't have the kind of fellowship that we all ultimately desire, it is a start anyway, and I do believe that God intends there to be a global aspect to His body, where we're not all separated and isolated based on geography.

Sorry for the rambling reply.

Mark

Arthur Sido said...

Becky,

I will check that out, thanks!

Mark,

That was not rambling at all. I fear that I am being impatient with what God is doing. It has been an interesting and rarely easy journey to where we are now and I am quite certain we are not finsihed yet.

Arthur Sido said...

and Mark,anywhere it hits 110 is probably off the list!

Chad said...

I have to say that I agree with what Mark is saying. Isn't there a cliche saying that goes something like, "Be the change you want to see." There are other Christians that yearn for the same sort of community that you describe...you'll find them or they'll find you...eventually. Blogging like this is an excellent way to be found...perhaps you're a church planter and you don't even know it.

Recently in our town a young family received the devastating news that the wife/mom's cancer has returned, and the prognosis gives her less than a year to live. And with that news you see the ideal church that you describe, flash into action. Regardless of denomination or church affiliation, people are giving of themselves sacrificially...in terms of time, money, etc...just pulling out all the stops to help this family. It seems like this should be more the rule than the exception.

Debbie said...

Arthur,

I think Mark and Chad have given you some great advice. Sometimes impatience leads to a feeling of "the grass is greener somewhere else." With all the moves you've made, you must realize by now that there isn't a perfect place to live! So concentrate on being a community to others, rather than looking for the perfect community to join.

Anonymous said...

Don't be jealous...we're visiting a house church tomorrow. In our own town even! They meet about 6 miles from our house. We haven't officially "left" our current church--we're just checking these guys out. But we've had some good communication with them so far. I'll let you know how it goes!

Arthur Sido said...

So April, how did you meeting with the house church folks go?