Saturday, August 21, 2010

Best of the week entry 3

Now this is something I can get behind: A Bible and a Gold Band. Instead of gold=evil, how about what can my gold do for others?

“Jesus began to tender our hearts. One day my Charisma Magazine arrived and in it was an article about With This Ring. I looked down at my beautiful wedding ring and said, ‘Oh no, Lord! Not that! Not me!’ But He grabbed my heart and made the sight of my ring unpleasant as it sat on my finger. It suddenly became an idol to me. He told me He didn’t need my ring, but He did need my obedience. In the end, I got a plain gold band, unadorned, and I can’t tell you the joy it brings me to know that it’s being there means children somewhere will not die from drinking unclean water. “

I don't anything about this group With This Ring, so I wouldn't recommend sending your gold to California without looking into them closely, but I like the concept. This sister traded her traditional wedding ring for a plain band so that the value locked up in the old ring could help others. Some may cluck their tongues and wonder why she would replace one ring with another but I appreciate that this sister made a sacrifice that will benefit the poor. I think Christ is honored with that and it should serve as a wake-up call for all of us to look at how we can help others with the wealth we enjoy.

No comments: