Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What I Am Reading Now

Having finished a few books I was working through I am starting a net set.of books. Sadly my Kindle Fire has given up the ghost as the mini-USB port used to charge it has given out. It was always temperamental but now I can charge it at all which makes me sad and leaves me with quite a collection of books I can't access. On the bright side with Kindle books you can always recover them later but I will have to wait to get a replacement. In the interim I am reduced to reading actual books. Like with covers and pages and stuff. Positively medieval I tell you.

A couple of books I am getting ready to start include The Theology of the Reformers by Timothy George and perhaps the most popular biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer prior to the poor effort by Eric Metaxas, the cleverly named Dietrich Bonhoeffer: A Biography by Eberhard Bethge. The book itself is mammoth, to the point that it almost is uncomfortable to hold for any length of time. Hoping to get a non-Americanized view of Bonheoffer. Finally I am pulling several books off the shelf to study the atonement in greater focus. The first book I have chosen is one of my "Together for the Gospel" books that I never got around to reading, In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement. I have been uncomfortably noticing that the central doctrine of penal substitutionary atonement is being diminished or outright denied and as I think it is a critical doctrine to understanding the Gospel I need to sharpen my own understanding.

So there are a few books I am looking at these days, hopefully I can focus on my reading and get some reviews out soon(ish).

No comments: