Sunday, September 25, 2011

It is easy to lose sight of things

It is easy to get caught up in the problems of the church. I spend a lot of time stewing about it and fretting about it and praying for it to change. All for good reason if not always with the right spirit. However in my zeal for restoration in the church, I can forget how loving God's people so often are. For those who don't know, my wife tumbled from her horse on Friday and broke, nay she shattered, the bones in her left ankle. Long story short she is coming home from the hospital today with a plate and 9 screws holding the bones together. Needless to say that is going to leave her laid up for a while.

The response from God's people has been what it always is: loving and generous. People are praying for her all over the country. Our friends at the Mennonite church we often meet with are bringing meals over. When the church is in need, we often see Christians coming out of the woodwork to help one another. When one hurts, the church is so often right there alongside.The church is at its best not when we sit neatly in pews but when we get our hands dirty to help one another in love.

I love the church. I  love the people of God. I long to see us live as one, in unity, fellowship and community with one another. When I see how we can pull together to help one another I can't help but dream of how we could be an incredible witness to the world if we can shed our divisive traditions and come together. I know that will be the reality some day as we share the wedding feast of the Lamb but there is no good reason we can't start to see that today.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:34-35)

No comments: