Monday, February 01, 2010

Road Trip Review

I mentioned on Friday that we were going to Ohio on Saturday to visit a family I have been in touch with. I wanted to give you an update because it was a great time for us. We had a wonderful visit with Michael and Wanda Harris on Saturday. The Harris family are Hutterites and their style of life is simultaneously both fairly typical and very much not. Like my wife, Wanda is a keeper of the home and they homeschool their children. Michael works a “regular” job. Because they are not living in a traditional Hutterite colony, their lives are not quite the same as that of the colony they are affiliated with (Elmendorf Christian Community in Minnesota, which in turn is a little different in doctrine and practice from some of the older colonies further West). With farm prices through the roof thanks to dramatically higher commodity prices, creating a new and self-sufficient colony is an expensive proposition. So for now, the Harris family lives in a more or less traditional way but they way they view church and community is radically different from the norm.

If I can speak for them, it is clear that community is not a passing thing in the church for the Harris family. It is the thing. It is what unites us, gives us a witness to the unbelieving world and it is what God intends for us, both by human nature and in Scriptural example.

What I found enchanting and refreshing was that their children don’t have iPods or video games or even a TV. Yet they play with and find joy in simple play with blocks, something kids all used to be able to entertain themselves with until we decided as parents and as a society that kids needed every possible indulgence. We dutifully watch commercials and like sheep we shuffle off to the store to buy the latest, greatest toy for our kids on command. Even in my lifetime, when I was growing up we had pretty minimal exposure to television because as a child we lived before the advent of cable. So I spent a lot of time reading, playing outside, playing with friends. If I were growing up now, I would spend 100% of my free time in front of a computer and never step foot outside. When I remarked that we don’t sing together as a family, Michael asked what we do together as a family. The answer unfortunately is “not much”. We have plenty of ways to entertain ourselves individually, so it is easier for us all to “do our own thing” than to do things together as a family.

They had the biggest dining room table I have ever seen. Imagine a table with four adults, two on each end and fifteen children ages 16 and under around it! I was at one end of the table and Michael was at the other and it was a little hard to hear one another because we were so far away. It is a table that is designed for fellowship, in a home that welcomes people. You don’t need to “go to church” to have fellowship when you open your home to any and all.

I found it fascinating that for Michael, the way that the evangelical church lives is almost incomprehensible and unrecognizable. What we take for granted as “normal” is anything but for Hutterites. From our unquestioning support of war to the minimalist version of community we pass of as “church”, it is hard to imagine a model that is less recognizable for the more conservative Anabaptist groups. When we spoke about how we gather, even in a Plymouth Brethren assembly which is in and of itself pretty different from a traditional evangelical church, it doesn’t sound recognizable from the Scriptures to Hutterites.

So what does that mean for us as a family? Well, I am not sure yet. I know that it reinforced for us that we are missing out on both the loving witness to those outside of the church and the support that a Christian community provides to those in the church. That sort of community cannot be found in church membership or regular Sunday attendance. It can only be achieved by lives lived together, in a commitment to one another. Something Michael said really struck me. In a community like the Hutterites, people get mad at one another but because you are in community, you don’t stomp off and leave. You are committed to one another as a living community for the long haul and that means you don’t just go from Baptist church A to Baptist church B because you are in a snit about something. The solution to church hopping is not “church membership”, it is a committed community. I would have some concerns/questions about some matters of doctrine and I am not sold on some distinctives (like the manner of dress). I also know that the perfect community in perfect fellowship doesn’t exist on this side of the judgment. So we can either sit around and wait to die, slogging along in the morass of evangelicalism, or we can seek to do God’s will no matter how uncomfortable it makes us or what sacrifices it requires of us.

We are looking forward to spending more time with the Harris family and with others who seek a community with other believers beyond Sunday morning and see where God leads us.



Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Joe said...

I am belly laughing at the thought of you in bib overalls.

Unknown said...

Wonderful!
If nothing, you have been given a taste for community, even if this one is not the right one.
Maybe you are going to start your own in the near future.

Getting involved with relationships inside these groups, may lead to meeting others that are wanting exactly what you are looking for!

Loved the picture of the long table!

Debbie said...

What struck me about this post is that it appears that for the Harris family, "community" starts at home. Makes sense - if we're not putting forth the effort to spend time with those closest to us (as opposed to just being nearby), how can we extend that to our larger Christian family?

The more I think about the whole idea of the church being a community, the more I conclude that it has nothing to do with being physical neighbors, as in "living in a community." It has everything to do with being truly concerned with our brothers' needs, concerns, growth, etc. It has to do with making oneself vulnerable to others in these areas. Getting together to share a meal can foster these things, but it won't make them happen. And modern communication options make it possible to share all these things regardless of the distance. Bottom line, it comes down to me - 1)Am I willing to make the effort to reach out to others and truly care for them? and 2)Am I willing to swallow my pride, make myself vulnerable, and honestly share my struggles with others? Until I do these things, I will never be part of a community, no matter who I live near or spend time with.

Arthur Sido said...

Debbie,

I would agree that living in proximate community is not a sufficient condition but I would argue that it is a necessary condition. I am not sure how we can live out what we see in Scripture and have effective community without time spent with one another. I blog all the time but I can’t say that I am in an effective fellowship with people that I know and who I interact with on my blog. I think that what is lived out in the church every day is that we live in relative isolation from one another and because of that our fellowship and community is shallow. We are pretty good at responding to major crises but how are we in helping one another through the daily trials? For example, when we lived up north Rick & Melanie were great at helping us out because we lived near one another and spent lots of time together. We watched each other’s kids, we ate meals together, we did things together as families. Yet we spent very little time outside of scheduled church meetings with you and John (and that is my fault) because you lived 25 minutes away. Our lives are structured in such a way that we have a very difficult time living in any sort of meaningful community with other believers and even worse we don’t see the need to make a concerted effort to do so.

FWIW, I have another blog post dealing with the wider repercussions of this idea coming up.

Debbie said...

I agree that blogging doesn't count as a community. There are other places online, however, that fill that purpose much better. And there's also the phone....

Don't you think that the main force driving your interactions with Rick and Melanie was friendship? Did you have the same relationship with the rest of the church at Liberty? I think that making time to do things with/for friends and having community within the local church body are two separate things. They may overlap, but they are not equivalent.