Tuesday, January 01, 2008



What exactly does Joel Osteen consider to be a "big detail"?


There are certainly doctrines that are not as divisive, or at least shouldn't be, compared to others. Dr. Albert Mohler ranks these under theological triage, and his advice in this area is as sound as ever. For example, third level issues are things like eschatology, that should not divide us or cause us to break fellowship.

Unfortunately, one of the best known Christian leaders in this country, in this world perhaps, has shown yet again a remarkable ignorance when dealing with mormonism and violated a number of the level one theological triage categories. Joel Osteen, on December 23rd, 2007, was interviewed on Fox News Sunday and in the course of the interview was asked about Mitt Romney and mormonism. His response is, to say the least, sad and disappointing:

WALLACE: And what about Mitt Romney? And I've got to ask you the question, because it is a question whether it should be or not in this campaign, is a Mormon a true Christian?
OSTEEN: Well, in my mind they are. Mitt Romney has said that he believes in Christ as his savior, and that's what I believe, so, you know, I'm not the one to judge the little details of it. So I believe they are. And so, you know, Mitt Romney seems like a man of character and integrity to me, and I don't think he would — anything would stop me from voting for him if that's what I felt like.
WALLACE: So, for instance, when people start talking about Joseph Smith, the founder of the church, and the golden tablets in upstate New York, and God assumes the shape of a man, do you not get hung up in those theological issues?
OSTEEN: I probably don't get hung up in them because I haven't really studied them or thought about them. And you know, I just try to let God be the judge of that. I mean, I don't know. I certainly can't say that I agree with everything that I've heard about it, but from what I've heard from Mitt, when he says that Christ is his savior, to me that's a common bond.


I have hesitated to post anything about this (which is pretty amazing if you know me that I would hesitate to offer my thoughts about anything) for a couple of reasons:
  1. It is a fine line between rightly chastising a brother in Christ and attacking a brother publicly.
  2. It is so obvious, so silly as to be almost below mention.
But the longer I think about it, the more irate I get. How can you, on national TV, when asked about a clear heresy, an attack on Biblical Christianity like mormonism and respond that the nature of God and the divinity of Christ are just little details that ought not be judged and get in the way? There are men of God like John MacArthur and Albert Mohler who appear on TV on a regular basis, and never fail to declare the Gospel and stand up for the truth, regardless of the derision they may receive or the lack of return invitation they may get.

A quick refresher: Mormonism holds that God the Father is a created being. That Jesus Christ is also a created being, and is the spirit brother not only of mankind but also Satan and his demons. That the Bible is unreliable and requires the priesthood authority to interpret. That temple worthy mormon men will become gods and live in polygamous relationships in eternity, propagating their own planets. Etc. Etc. Etc. These are not "little details". These are heresies of the highest order, on par with anything ever peddled throughout the ages. If Joel Osteen cannot differentiate between mormonism and orthodox Christianity, or if he cannot be bothered to inform himself of the pressing issues of the Gospel, he may need to spend less time on TV and jetting around the world hawking his latest book, and instead spend more time in the only book that really matters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is truly a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Out of curiosity what are some of the major political convictions of Mormons? I know that they are very socially conservative in appearance, but I honestly do not know much about what is required for Mormons to hold to politically.

Arthur Sido said...

Mormons are super conservatives, flag waving kind of patriotic conservatives. Most are anti-abortion, many are pro-gun. If I recall correctly, Bill Clinton came in third in Utah when he ran against Bush Sr. and Ross Perot. That is why so many are hesitant to speak out against mormonism in the GOP, because they are a reliable vote.

Part of that conservatism/patriotism stems from a belief in mormonism that America is God's chosen nation, the land of the restoration of the Gospel and the location of the new Jerusalem.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I did not realize their passion for the country was so rooted in their "theology." That is interesting...

It would be interesting to see if any of the other Republican candidates professing Christianity would be willing to denounce Mormonism. One can definitely see the reality of the candidates' religious convictions with such opposition.

Arthur Sido said...

Huckabee was present in Salt Lake City when the SBC held it's convention there, and outreach to mormons was a big part of it, so he certainly does know the differences. I guess the big difference is between Huckabee speaking as a politican and Osteen speaking as a pastor.