Wednesday, May 16, 2007




Putting political expediency above the Gospel

While milling around the internet, I came across a posting on the Evangelicals for Mitt webpage by a gentleman named David French. Mr. French seems like a solid guy, a Christian who is a Harvard Law educated lawyer, and a Calvinist to boot! However...

With a due respect for David French and his service for our country, when he writes this:

As for me, I'm proud to stand with Mormons as we confront the cultural rot that is destroying our country from within, and I'm proud to serve with Mormons as fellow soldiers facing a hideous evil overseas. I appreciate them more than they could know. I'm grateful for their presence in my life and in the life of this nation. So, I leave the question of "cult, denomination, or religion" to the Judge of all things. I'm content with a fourth category -- one not on that list -- the category of "friends."

...I have to speak up. Friends don't send missionaries out to try to convince Christians to leave Christianity for a heretical belief. The history of mormonism in America, if you go back more than a few years, is one of near open rebellion, of borderline sedition, of introducing polygamy into the American landscape in a major way. The institution of the mormon church is directed at convincing people that the Bible is unreliable, all Christian churches are apostate (including the church that David French and his wife attend, Zion Presbyterian in Columbia, TN which appears to be a solid church) and God is not eternally God but instead a created personage of flesh, a man who progressed to become one of many gods.

Mr. French is putting political pragmatism above the Gospel. My reasons for not voting for Romney have little to do with his faith, and a lot more to do with his waffling on positions, but let's not forget the tens of thousands of missionary "friends" knocking on Christian doors today and every day. The Gospel is more precious than the GOP. As important as the 2008 election is, it is not going to make or break the proclamation of the Gospel if a Republican is in the White House. The Gospel must not be compromised. I would expect a Calvinist to know better.

No comments: