Saturday, April 07, 2007



Now that's a pulpit!


I have been preaching behind a rickety lectern in the 9 months or so since I have been called as pastor of Grace Community Church. It is serviceable, but it is difficult when the top suddenly shifts and I have to grab my Bible and notes so they don't fling on the ground, or try to surreptitiously try to tighten the wingnut that holds the top of the lectern in place. But now....


My dad, who has an amazing talent in woodworking, built me a pulpit. Keep in mind that he has never built anything quite like this. Bookcases yes. Dictionary stands yes. Giant cabinets yes. Corner china cabinets, hope chests, all sorts of stuff yes. But this is quite a bit different, since this pulpit is built exactly for me. The dimensions are built for our church, the stand inside is set at just the right height for where I like to read from. I pray that if it is God's will, that I spend the rest of my days proclaiming the Word of God to His people from that pulpit, and that someday that some or all of my sons also declare the revealed, perfect Word from behind that same pulpit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really neat that you dad was able to build you a pulpit. However, if you want to be really contemporary make a glass pulpit. Just kidding. It looks great.

Chad

Arthur Sido said...

I was thinking about just sitting on a stool and "sharing". That would be way more relevant than preaching from some old dusty Bible!

Seth McBee said...

that's great...looks good and your vision for "what could be" as far as your sons is amazing to think about...