Saturday, April 28, 2007

Back Home!

And happy to be here. A few thoughts.
  • This year's Toledo Reformed Theological Conference seemed sparsely attended. I think that having it so close to the Philadelphia Conference on Reformed Theology in Grand Rapids hurts, it is back to back weekends so many people had to choose one or the other, and frankly there were "bigger" names in Grand Rapids (but the conference was in no way better!)
  • The difference between a conference with one Bapist and a bunch of Presbyterians versus one with mostly Baptists was clear. The music in Toledo was more contemporary, the talk more preaching than teaching, more evangelistic and less scholarly. It was a nice contrast if you got to go to both.
  • Both churches are huge!
  • I am horribly disillusioned that Steve Camp drives a white mini-van.

5 comments:

ann said...

"I am horribly disillusioned that Steve Camp drives a white mini-van."

:)
Is it a problem of color or size?
Can baptists have white vehicles? ;)

But seriously - i enjoyed your reporting job on the conference.

Arthur Sido said...

I figured Camp for a pick-up truck or something!

ann said...

I see :)
No, this is not this type of man - pick-up is more Viggo Mortensen-ish.

SJ Camp said...

I must defend publicly my choice of vehicle... :-).

It is a Mazda MPV, white, 2000 with 210,000 miles on it and counting. It is the finest automobile I have even owned--flawless in its maintenance, nice to look at, sporty for a mini-van, and good on gas mileage.

Being a single dad, it has been a blessing from the Lord for me and my five kids. I am told that if I continue to take good care of it, I should be able to get about 300,000 miles on this engine.

So Art, only an Arminian would want something that looks flashy but can't deliver the goods in the end. As a Calvinist, this is the car I am convince Luther and Calvin would both be driving if they were with us today. AND you also have plenty of room for books, books, and more books (some good Christian Music as well).

If you're ever in Nashville, I will treat you to some great coffee and a spin in my Dad-mobile. But I have to warn you, I can punch the pedal on this baby and it goes from 0 to 60 in about 12 seconds. :-).

Grace and peace,
Campi

PS - Thank you for your excellent coverage of the conference... Very well done. Challies who? :-).

Arthur Sido said...

In the spirit of full disclosure, we also have a white van, but it is fifteen passenger monster with a Chevy 350 because nothing else will hold all of us.