Monday, January 01, 2007

The whole "Can evangelicals/will evangelicals support Mitt Romney for President" debate seems to be missing the point. There seems to be an awful lot of evangelicals who are willing to ignore differences between mormon and Christian doctrine. Most of the people I have read seem so afraid of a democrat as President that they will ignore the fact that a) mormons are NOT Christians and b) that members of their church tell Christians that they belong to a false religion and try to proselytize them into a cult. Mormons don't believe in the same god as Christians anymore than Muslims believe in the same god as evangelicals. At least muslims are monotheistic, whereas mormons are a polytheistic bunch. Would I vote for Mitt Romney? Not in a primary, but if it came down to Mitt versus Hillary or Obama I probably would. I just wish the co-belligerent evangelical types would quit barking whenever anyone brings up the topic of whether evangelicals can/should support a member of a non-Christian cult for President.

I guess my point is this: we should not gloss over serious issues in our zeal to keep the White House in Republican hands.

No comments: