Thursday, August 19, 2004

Ok, this is weird...

Alan Keyes, who I love as a commentator and who I think is entertaining to listen to, has suggested a form of reparations for slavery? Front Page reports that Keyes said:

In a craven attempt to boost his faltering (read: hopeless) Senate campaign, Keyes said Monday that he would support exempting blacks from all taxation in order to repay the debt America owed them for enslaving their ancestors. Blacks would pay only Social Security taxes under his plan. The Chicago Tribune reported that Keyes justified his position with an appeal to ancient history, “When a city had been devastated (in the Roman empire), for a certain length of time – a generation or two – they exempted the damaged city from taxation.” Keyes, usually no fan of the morés of the later Roman Empire, said this would “compensate for all those years when your labor was being exploited.”

How weird is that from him? I need to look into this further, as it sounds a bit suspicious.

By the way, why should I pay reparations out of my pocket to slaves that are dead and that my poor grandparent's families never owned anyway?

No comments: