Thursday, July 07, 2011

A four day work week

So this is random but that isn’t really much different than my normal posts.

This is the sort of thing I think about while on a conference call

Why don’t we move to a national four day work week?

Buildings would be open 20% less, so less need for maintenance and utilities.

Workers would drive 20% less commuting to work, less wear and tear on cars and roads and of course a lot less fuel being consumed. As an added bonus, less “greenhouse gas” emissions, thus placating the eco-lefties like Al Gore.

Dual income families would need one fewer day of child care.

If an employee really needed to do some extra work, they could do that work from home.

Employers could offer less vacation time because people would be working 52 fewer days anyway. A lot of businesses would still be open like retailers/grocery stores but most offices would be closed up.

Most of the “business” functions like banking and the markets are largely electronic now. I can pay my bills online from the comfort of my own home and if I want to buy or sell stocks I can do that at the same computer. There is no need for banks to be open five and a half days a week, after all like President Obama says ATMs are already taking away jobs!

I am absolutely convinced that most of the work we do can be done in four days. This is a great idea!

1 comment:

Bean said...

No comment, I only have a two day work week :)