Sunday, July 26, 2009

I too am a man

I was reading in Acts chapter 10 tonight and read this:

And on the following day they entered Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. But Peter lifted him up, saying, "Stand up; I too am a man." (Act 10:24-26)

As I read that I pondered. If Peter is the first pope and all other popes follow in his line of succession, and if Peter refused to let Cornelius bow before him and worship him, why then is it considered proper to kneel before the current pope and kiss his ring or in prior traditions kiss his toe?

1 comment:

Steve Martin said...

Because the Roman system places 'man' at the center, instead of Christ. It is Pelagain ans co-operative, instead of placing what Christ has done for us at the Center.


Roman Catholics always fall back on what Christ said to Peter. "You are the rock, and upon this rock I woll build my church."

We Protestants believe that the Rock is Christ Himself and that Jesus was referring to Peter's confession of faith (in Jesus) and not to Peter, the man.