Friday, January 09, 2009

Well I finally did it

I have had Paul Washer's now famous two hour sermon, 10 Indictments Against the Modern Church In America, on my iPod for weeks now but never got around to listening to the whole thing. So today on my hour in and hour back from work I listened to it and it is as outstanding as everyone says. You can listen to it by clicking on the link above or watch it on the links below...





I was really struck by how right on he is about so much of what ills the church. I don't unreservedly agree with everything he said, but most of it is exactly right. But when faced with the institutional church, I am not sure how much of what he says gets beyond nods and "amens!" and actually results in changes. Regardless, I am confident he is going to keep on preaching even if no one is listening.

2 comments:

Bethany W. said...

Arthur,
I think what I like most about Paul Washer (besides his doctrinal soundness and his calling the church to the mat) is that he is so down-to-earth! He is a great teacher/speaker, but does not let it go to his head. When you meet him, he is just a man - not a man consumed with his own self-importance.
I really like Washer... I hope I get time to listen to this sermon - maybe Paul and I can do that for our Lord's Day afternoon activity.
Bethany

Arthur Sido said...

Bethany it is worth the listen. I wasn't especially keen on his exhortation for pastors to spend more and more time in their studies, I think that can lead to hiding behind books, but otherwise the points were all right on. I fear in some ways he is trying to do what Luther did, trying to redeem an unreedemable institutional church.