Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Biblical Evangelism

I was listening to Paul Washer yesterday morning on my iPod (not a good idea when the roads are snowy, listening to Washer makes me a little jittery!) and he was talking about Biblical evangelism, which is a world different than the evangelism we see in most churches. Evangelism is not one of my strengths, at least personal one on one evangelism. Put me on stage in front of a dozen or a thousand people, and I am fine. With an individual I have a lot harder time. But the Bible models for us by command and example not just that we should evangelize but how we should evangelize.

I remember sitting under the preaching of a man at a scheduled “revival crusade” when we lived in Kentucky and were members of the big Southern Baptist church in town (we had several SBC churches in our small suburban town, it was Kentucky after all!). Our church brought in a well-known revival preacher who shall remain nameless (it was not Billy Graham). This is a famous man, a man who is huge in Southern Baptist circles and someone who brags on his website that: “As a pastor, he has led more people to Christ than any other Southern Baptist pastor in an equal period of time in the history of the Southern Baptist Convention.”, along with a grotesque litany of other self-exalting accolades and fawning adoration from other Christian leaders about the great things he has accomplished. Back then as a very new Christian I didn’t understand that no human leads anyone to Christ, that it is the Spirit working in the heart of the sinner who changes that heart to become receptive to the Word of God. But I digress.

At the time, I thought this guy was great. He is an accomplished showman, everyone seemed to like him, he preached with passion and just look at all the “decisions” he got! He was a stereotypical decision generating preacher. He did the whole “Every head bowed and every eye closed”, “I see that hand!”, “Play through the last stanza of that hymn one more time.” shtick. People came forward in droves, people who had been in church for their whole lives. He preached for an emotional response and like a master craftsman he got the exact response he intended. I really thought this guy was a Gospel preaching machine and that genuine revival had broken out in this church because everyone knows that revival is something you plan for and schedule speakers for, not a working of the Holy Spirit when and where He pleases.

The problem, as Paul Washer pointed out, is that we never see that style of evangelism in the Bible. We see lots of evangelism, lots of people truly repenting and coming to Christ, plenty of direct commands and examples but nothing like the decisional model in vogue today. Jesus doesn’t knock on the door and ask to come in. He kicks the door down! As we are before the Spirit changes us, we would never open the door for Him and indeed we would never even hear Him knocking. He doesn’t wait for us to have a change of heart, He tears out that old heart of stone and replaces it with a heart of flesh. The sort of preaching we get in church today is a lot more Charles Finney or P.T. Barnum than it is Paul, Peter or John the Baptist.

I would without hesitation say that it is because of this style of decisional evangelism, exemplified in this preacher and many others who emulate his style, that we see the state of the Southern Baptist Convention today. 16 million “members”. Do half of them show up on Sunday? Perhaps. Of those that show up every now and again, how many of them are actually believers? I am not sure and neither is anyone else because the preaching they sit under every week is not the sort of preaching that is going to convict anyone. In the SBC churches I have been a member of or frequent attender in, an unregenerate sinner could very comfortably sit in a pew month after month, year after year and never realize anything was wrong. That is not reserved for Baptist churches. The last two weeks I have been to a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod church and an Orthodox Presbyterian church. In the LCMS church, there was virtually no preaching at all of any sort and in the OPC church it was sound exposition but there was little or nothing that would expose an unregenerate sinner to the cross.

If you are going to gather in a church building and have preaching, that preaching must be preaching that is Christ centered and cross focused. All the upbeat music and entertainment in the world, all the altar calls and the exhortations to walk an aisle, all the sacramentalism and liturgy, all the deep theology with frequent quotes from Calvin, Edwards and Spurgeon sprinkled liberally with references in Greek and Hebrew are meaningless to a lost sinner. I kind of use the formula “The garden and the cross”. If you miss the Fall and the lost estate of man, how can someone be convicted of sin? If you skip the cross, the substitutionary atonement of Christ, how can you preach grace? You can, and should, preach expositorally, but you can miss the grand unveiling of redemption in the minutiae of the text. Not every verse in the Bible mentions Christ, but the whole Bible preaches Christ. Preach Nehemiah, preach Habakkuk, preach James but don’t preach it without the shadow of the cross. Preach repentance, preach salvation but never, ever without the terrible cost of the cross. For the sake of souls, never preach decisions as a substitute for Spirit driven regeneration. God has been handling things on His own timetable for millennial, He doesn’t need us to nudge things along now.

Here is the sermon from Washer

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to listen to the Paul Washer series you posted. I very recently discovered him, and appreciate much of what he has to say! Maybe today while the baby I nanny is napping...

I have been in the SBC all my life, save for a few years in my early 20s when I either attended a charasmatic church or no church at all. Twice I said the sinner's prayer (at least publicly--I can't count the number of times I said it inwardly), and twice I was baptized, because I didn't know if I really meant it before. I do not agree with everything the Lutheran church (where my husband was raised). But when I started looking into it and learning about God choosing us and the Holy Spirit doing the decision making, it was like my entire world was turned upside down. There aren't even words for how this affected me. Suddenly it was clear to me that no one ever prayed a prayer for salvation in Scripture. That no one ever came forward as an emotional response to rhetoric and music. As crazy as it sounds (to me, anyway) I am not certain that the Holy Spirit truly did a regenerating work in my heart until within the last year.

We are currently attending an SBC church, which we genuinely feel the Lord called us to. But we've been discussing it lately--with all the good that goes on there (Sound, un-watered-down, biblical preaching; real honest fellowship, a heart for the urban community), I don't know if we can/should feel at peace attending a church which preaches decision theology. Right now Randy feels we should stay where we are, so that is what we're doing. It just always troubles me, but I know no matter how hard we look, we're not going to find a perfect church that lines up with everything we believe.

Sorry for the novel. This issue has been weighing on me for some time.

Anonymous said...

One more thought--I know this isn't a popular idea, but I've asked myself lately--IS the church *supposed* to be producing converts? Because biblically, the church is not an institution, but by definition, a gathering of believers. The church is the body of Christ, but we welcome unbelievers in, preach milk and give an altar call when the believers need meat. I'm not saying unbelievers shouldn't be allowed in church--I haven't taken that harsh of a stance yet. But it seems to me that the church is for the edification and the building up and training of the body, so that those in the church are equipped to preach the good news to the lost and *then* bring them into the church. Instead, there is an emphasis on bringing our friends to church, but we never have to actually preach the gospel to them--that's the preacher's job. "You get 'em here, and we'll get 'em saved," is the pervasive mentality it seems.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever listened to a sermon of PW without him sounding ticked off? I understand the hatred for sin, the call to repentance etc. But can you give me one example of him "in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves lest God peradventure will grant them repentance unto life.

There is a reason he pastors no church. You can't beat people up every time you preach and tell everyone in the congregation that they are probably all lost.

I enjoy his preaching. I listen quite often. But there are times when we need to be like Jesus in John 4 with the woman at the well. Meekness.

Arthur Sido said...

Joe, it was interesting in that last sermon that he did say he didn't preach like that all the time when he was a pastor and he discourages pastors from preaching like that. I think he mostly preaches one place, one time in conferences and such. I try to intersperse listening to PW with several sermons by Piper, who can be full of zeal without being angry all the time. I appreciate his message but there is always the danger of seeing yourself as the sole voice who is preaching faithfully.

Arthur Sido said...

April, you asked a lot of the right questions. Let me respond back when I have a couple of minutes and time to think. You are asking a lot of the same question I am that kind of get to the heart of the church and how we "do church" and if what we are doing is Biblical or just tradition.

Bethany W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethany W. said...

April,

I like what you said in your second comment!

Bethany

Arthur Sido said...

April, I think you hit on something. Are unbelievers not allowed in the church? I think that depends on your definition of “the church”. I would say that they inherently are not because the church is made up of the elect believers of all time. That doesn’t mean we don’t allow unbelievers to come to our assembling, but we shouldn’t cater our worship towards unbelievers. Churches where the altar call is the culmination of the worship have designed a fellowship where the focus is on decisions, not on worship at all.

My opinion on the question is that proclaiming the Gospel is the calling of all Christians but it is not the primary function of the church. The church is not an evangelism machine where we churn our decisions or converts. The church exists to worship God and fellowship together. If an unbeliever comes, they should hear the Gospel in our teaching and if God works in their heart, but we should cater to the unregenerate. It raises the question, are you feeding the sheep or amusing the goats (to paraphrase Spurgeon)? I think the reason so many in the church are ignorant of Scripture and theology is two parts, one because the church doesn’t feed the sheep in order to attract goats and two because so many in “the church” are not Christians and as such have no love of Christ or His Word. Why should a hater of God love His Word? But we need them in the local assembly to prop up numbers? That is a perversion of the meaning and intent of the church body.