Sunday, September 07, 2008

Brave Sir Obama

So what if John McCain served honorably in the military, including time as a POW. Brave Sir Obama gave passing consideration to maybe thinking about the option of joining the military.

“You know, I actually did,” Obama said. “I had to sign up for Selective Service when I graduated from high school. And I was growing up in Hawaii. And I have friends whose parents were in the military. There are a lot of Army, military bases there.

“And I actually always thought of the military as an ennobling and, you know, honorable option. But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end. We weren't engaged in an active military conflict at that point. And so, it's not an option that I ever decided to pursue.”

It brings to mind the Tale of Brave Sir Robin from Monty Python and the Holy Grail...



He also went on to mock Palin's alleged lack of experience (dangerous ground for him to tread on) and restate his ridiculous answer regarding when life begins...

Barack Obama says his answer about abortion at the Saddleback Church forum was “probably” too flip.

During separate televised interviews last month, Pastor Rick Warren asked the two presidential candidates when a baby gets human rights. Obama replied that the question is “above my pay grade,” while John McCain won love from the right by saying quickly, “At the moment of conception.”

Now, Obama tells ABC’s George Stephanopoulos in an interview taped for “This Week”: “What I intended to say is that, as a Christian, I have a lot of humility about understanding when does the soul enter into … It's a pretty tough question. And so, all I meant to communicate was that I don't presume to be able to answer these kinds of theological questions.”

In the ABC interview, Obama goes on to give the answer he wishes he’d given: “What I do know is that abortion is a moral issue, that it's one that families struggle with all the time. And that in wrestling with those issues, I don't think that the government criminalizing the choices that families make is the best answer for reducing abortions.

“I think the better answer — and this was reflected in the Democratic platform — is to figure out, how do we make sure the young mothers, or women who have a pregnancy that's unexpected or difficult, have the kind of support they need to make a whole range of choices, including adoption and keeping the child.


You have to wonder about someone who responds to a fundamental question like when does life begin with a "flip answer". That question is a deadly serious one and one that deserves some thought from someone who wants to be President, not ducking the question by hiding behind the party platform. This just proves again that Obama is certainly slick when he has time to get prepped for answers by his advisers, but when it is off the cuff and he has to say what he really thinks, he comes across poorly. His worldview is immature and dangerous.

No comments: