Sunday, September 11, 2011

Repost: An important reminder for followers of Christ

It has been ten years. Ten years ago I remember being at work when news started trickling in about an airline accident. I remember talking to my wife on the phone when the second plane hit and having that sinking realization that this was not an airline accident but an act of terrorism. I remember the impotent rage and the lurking fear knowing that my sister was working in downtown D.C. The days that followed were a blur of watching the news and the realization that a ragtag band of terrorists had pulled off an incredible attack.

Ten years ago I wanted blood. Within a short time of the attacks, I started applying for officer candidate school in the Air Force. I was only one perfunctory interview away, I had passed the tests, done the physicals, etc. I wanted to serve my country while we crushed these terrorists. I saw no contradiction with my primary identity as a follower of Christ and my zeal to defend my homeland. We decided against it because the pay cut was too severe and the required moves to disruptive (of course we have actually moved around more since then than we would have if I had been in the service...).

Times have changed. My post (see below) from last year is far more in line with my current thinking. I don't think followers of Christ should engage in a great deal of reliving the events of 9/11/01 today. Whipping up hatred will not bring back those who were lost. I remember vividly my grandparents hatred toward the Japanese decades after Pearl Harbor, long after the leaders of Japan who led their nation to war were long gone. The same with Germans. We have replaced "Japs" and "krauts" with "Muslim" and Nazism with "Islamofascism". I understand why unbelieving Americans react that way but as followers of Christ, aren't we called to a different standard and a higher calling?

What are your thoughts on the tenth anniversary of that tragic day and the decade of war that has followed?

-----

Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." To the contrary, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Rom 12:17-21)

We should never forget what happened on 09/11/2001 but neither should we set ourselves to seek vengeance for those events. The Gospel is never proclaimed faithfully by someone with a sword in their hand or screaming in hatred or burning books. Our first and highest duty is to Christ and His Kingdom, not the national security of America. We as a family will remember 9/11 today, not as a call to vengeance but repentance. We will pray today for Muslims, that Christ will be shown to them in all His glory by the humble and meek witness of His followers. We will also pray for the repentance of those who call for the death of unbelievers and seek to supplant God as the dispenser of justice.

Winning the war on terror will not win a single soul for Jesus Christ.

No comments: