Thursday, September 08, 2011

My first post at Under Christ's Archy

I just posted my first entry to the collaborative project Under Christ's Archy. It is kind of an intro post to set the stage for future posts. My post, Living Under Christ’s Archy Is Easier Said Than Done! , focuses on the immense challenge for redeemed sinner's to stop living for self and start living for Christ. As I point out this is especially true for Christians in America:
Living under Christ’s’ Archy is especially troublesome for Christians who live in America. I have not lived anywhere other than America but there certainly seems to be a heightened sense in which our American identity and all that comes with that is almost inextricably linked to our Christian identity. For many Christians it is difficult to distinguish where one ends and the other begins. The culture of America and the culture of the church in America create a sense of American Christians being special, of America being a peculiarly special and blessed land, of an assumption of faith based on the most superficial of standards. Because of this American Christianity is often associated with some characteristics that are absent from the New Testament or even anathema to the values were are to reflect as followers of Christ: militarism, wealth accumulation, prestige and power seeking, patriotism, etc.
I would encourage you to take a look at my post and the others as they pop up. Alan Knox already posted an interesting excerpt and I expect others to start posting soon as well. Check it out!

No comments: