Friday, August 05, 2011

Movie Review: Soul Surfer

We watched Soul Surfer last night. It was a nice movie, full of inspiring moments and the acting was pretty decent. Of course AnnaSophia Robb, Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt and even Kevin “Hercules” Sorbo are all veteran actors so the production value is higher than some of the other movies like it (thinking Fireproof and Facing the Giants, nice moves, less than stellar acting). Even Carrie Underwood was passable. It also reinforced for me, as someone who can’t swim, that people should stay out of the oceans because you can drown or get attacked by sharks. The worst wildlife attack I might suffer in Indiana is to be attacked by a squirrel. I like it that way.

I frankly don’t understand surfing. I don’t get how you get up on the board and stand on it without falling in the drink. I don’t get how they snap those turns at the top of the wave without careening off. I don’t get what would possess someone to do this in the first place. Who thought to themselves, hey lets take something flat, push it out into the water and then stand on it while the waves crash toward shore? I just don’t understand.

I am going to sound like a fuddy duddy Puritan here but the only thing I didn’t like about the movie was that most of the main characters spend the entire movie in bikinis. I know that is how people dress when they surf and I wouldn’t expect them to wear burqas while swimming. I still found it problematic that in a family friendly movie the main characters, all young women, are wearing very little clothing. That keeps me from recommending it as a movie. It is too bad because it is otherwise a nice flick. The shark attack is not graphic, there is no inappropriate language or sex. Just a bunch of girls in bikinis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Arthur and could not watch this movie. I say the below out of love, and not judgment.

While she has a compelling testimony & story of faith, it is also, a tempter and distracter from God. I just think a "visual" presentation of her particular story, is just not for everyone and would exercise discernment and caution.

I also would not watch out of respect for my wife. I only want to have eyes for her and it's hard as American culture assaults us images of beauty. This is true with any movie, media, public places, etc.

The spirit of Jezebel and lust is all over this nation. It's the #1 problem for men&boys, and for Christian men and their sons.

God's Word says to FLEE from temptation, not watch, draw near, and see if you can "handle" it!

Other men and women of faith that I have spoken to, will not watch this as well. Again, no offense to
Bethany or her lifestyle, etc. There are other testimonies and movies to watch that don't have this tempting aspect.

Let's just honestly say this too - "Hollywood" would NOT have made this movie if the subjects were not young slim girls in bikini's.

In His loving name,
Todd

Debbie said...

Like you, I don't really want my family watching movies full of scantily clad women (young or otherwise). And I haven't seen this movie, partly for that reason. I'm in total agreement with you.

A thought came to me, though.... Would I not recommend that anyone see a movie like End of the Spear for the same reason? (Well, not quite the same reason, as the native women in that movie are missing the bikini tops.) The answer is no - I realize that the depiction of the Waodani (sp?) people is accurate. That is simply how people in their culture dress. So why do I think it's bad to see how the surfing culture dresses? From all I know of Bethany, she does not wear a bikini to be provocative; it's just what one wears when surfing, just as what Waodani women wear (or don't wear) is just what one does in their culture.

I wonder how much of my attitude toward clothing styles is because I live in Michigan (and being used to seeing people bundled up to stay warm) and how much is based on my faith and the desire to be pure. Hmmmm......

Arthur Sido said...

Debbie

It is odd, Eva didn't even really notice and she seemed far less concerned about it. I am sure that Bethany does not wear what she surfs in to be provocative but it also seems that it is a cultural issue that we ignore. For example, look at what Olympic beach volleyball women wear (or don't). There is no reason they couldn't play beach volleyball in longer shorts and a t-shirt and given how much diving they do I think it would be more comfortable but would they get the ratings they do if they weren't wearing less than a Victoria's Secret model?