Monday, August 01, 2011

A balanced diet

This promises to be an interesting discussion. Alan is looking at A Healthy Diet for the Church – Introduction and asking what a healthy. balanced "diet" for the church should consist of.
I’ve decided to look at the source of the “food” that the church takes in. I’ve divided the sources into three types: 1) directly from God, 2) from other believers, and 3) from others. Now, in reality, all “food” for the church comes from God. However, in some cases, God works more directly; but in other cases, God communicates in a more indirect manner.

I’m certain that some people will disagree with my categories (sources), and others will disagree with what type of “food” I would put in each category. That’s fine. This is a metaphor, and I’m interested in hearing your input. So, please share it with me.

As with a human diet, I believe the church’s diet should be “balanced.” I’ll explain more about what that means as I examine each “source” listed above. That may seem strange. It may seem (at first) that the church should desire only direct communication from God (the first source I listed above). However, I hope after reading through each article you will understand why I still suggest that a “balanced” diet is better.
What is interesting is that the focus here is more in components than form. This isn't a do church in this form or that form. It is rather a question of "what are the underlying core dietary components that make up a healthy church diet"?

I think that is going to invoke some fruitful conversation.Some may object right away. What do you mean we need something other than Scripture?! Others will see a need for more emphasis in certain areas and perhaps less in others. I don't see the conversation being "this but not that" but "all of the above". We can spend all of our lives poring over Scripture, memorizing verses, studying commentaries and be immature, ineffectual Gospel witnesses. We can hang out in fellowship and have a great relationship with other believers but have no idea what we believe and have no idea who the One we place our hope in has revealed Himself to be. Well meaning error is still error. We don't need to pick and choose but we do need balance. All doctrine and no community makes for staid, cold orthodoxy. All fellowship and no edification makes for happy heretics. Go check out Alan's intro and jump into the conversation!

No comments: