Wednesday, January 05, 2011

It's not me, it's you

So I just gave up on AT&T after a long, frustrating call where my order that was supposed to be completed no later than today has mysteriously disappeared from the order system. Really how hard is it to install service at a place you can see on Google maps clear as a bell? For an exisiting and long-time customer who is switching an existing AT&T internet service from one location to another? I even have my AT&T modem and everything. Every time I called it was the same hassle of providing all of my information over again, giving them the address five times, being placed on hold again and again before being assured that service would be forthcoming only to get, on the same day, two letters: one a welcome to AT&T letter and one a letter saying they can't provide service at our location. So I will have to find someone else which is not going to be easy in a rural area but I refuse to be put on hold by someone who has no idea where Indiana is on a map.

4 comments:

Eric H said...

I received those "sign up for DSL" letters for a while when AT&T didn't have service available at my address (or at least that is what their website said). I mentioned that some months later (after receiving more and more letters and the website still saying it wasn't available) to an acquaintance who is a lineman for AT&T and he said he had DSL at home and the service had to pass my house to get to his. I don't know how long it had been available, contrary to their website, but I had functioning DSL in a couple days. Just curious, were you able/trying to get just DSL with no other services (landline)?

Arthur Sido said...

When I tried online I got nowhere but whenI called they seemed to think they could hook it up. I have tried a couple of other avenues and I am apparently stuck with either AT&T high speed or dial-up. I already have AT&T for my landline and that is apparently also our only option for a landline which we really prefer to have. Very frustrating but a few years ago high speed was unavailable at all in the country. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing for us to get slower internet, it might discourage us from spending so much time online.

Bean said...

We live in Indiana, we are rural, however we are able to get internet through Mediacom, we do not do cable with them. This might be an option for you.

Welcome to Indiana.

Arthur Sido said...

Bean,

Actually mediacom is coming out today to check on our access. I would love to go with them if possible.

Where do you live in Indiana? If you are anywhere near us perhaps we can get our families together some time.