Wednesday, January 19, 2011

An additional bonus of going to Haiti

While in Haiti I got an answer to a question that has deeply troubled my spirit for some time:

Why do Auburn fans say “War Eagle!’ when their mascot is a tiger?

It would be analogous to Michigan Wolverine fans shouting “Grocery store chipmunk!”. I was despairing of figuring this out (being too lazy to google it) and assuming it was a product of living in the south and suffering from heat stroke. Riding to the rescue was Les “Did you hear that Auburn won the national championship” Prouty. His explanation of the whole “War Eagle!” thing was lucid and reasonable. So not only did I get to love some orphans and meet a bunch of great fellow Christians, I also got the answer to one of the great mysteries of sports. It still doesn’t make much sense but at least I know the reasoning behind it.

No comments: