Monday, December 27, 2010

Transition Update - Reloaded

We are supposed to be closing on our new home tomorrow and we spent the whole weekend packing, loading a truck, driving that truck or unloading it. Needless to say we are all pretty tired, physically and mentally. The truck was huge, 26’ long and sat almost as high as a semi, so I really needed to have the Smokey and the Bandit soundtrack playing while driving at a max speed of 63 MPH (there are governors on the truck that keep it from going any faster). I had to settle for humming East Bound and down, loaded up and truckin’, a’we gonna do what they say can’t be done. We’ve got a long way to go and a short time to get there, I’m East Bound just watch ol’ Bandit run. Really, country music hasn’t been the same since Jerry Reed died. They just don’t make songs like She got the gold mine (I got the shaft) anymore.

We took a short break on Christmas Day and I went to see the remake of True Grit with my wife. It was the rare remake that, in my opinion and nostalgia for John Wayne notwithstanding, was better than the original. A little darker and a lot better acting. We pretty much had the entire movie theater to ourselves and it was a matinee so it only set us back $8 total. Other than that, it was a working weekend. We are hoping to get the last odds and ends (and critters) out of the house by mid-week and then we begin the process of settling into our new home. The unpacking is a lot easier without the time crunch, very few things have to be unpacked right away (like the literally dozens and dozens of boxes of books) . This whole move, at least the actual moving part itself, it going to run us somewhere in the vicinity of $600 which is not bad. If you are willing to put in a) the time and b) the effort, you can move yourself on the cheap and that was our goal. With any luck the phone and internet will be up and running by Wednesday because heaven forbid I have to go a day without the internet!

One thing I have decided, as if I needed any prompting, is that I am getting too old for this.

1 comment:

Les said...

Sounds like a busy and tiring time!

I took my three sons to see True Grit opening night. Set me back considerably more than $8 though. No matinee offers here in STL. I agree that it was better than the original. Hard for me to say that since I'm such a huge Duke fan. The original was a great film in its own way and time. But The Dude and his cast simply brought it home...not to mention the Coen brothers.