Tuesday, December 07, 2010

It is starting to feel real now

I finally got my airline tickets to Haiti for January's trip and my passport arrived in the mail. The reality is starting to set in and for the first time in a while I am refocused on the needs of these children in Haiti. It became very easy for me, as it always does, to worry about myself: new job, new house, all that comes with it. That is all very important to us as a family but as I contemplate moving into a 2700 square foot house with four acres of land (if our second choice house works out) I cannot help but think of how many Haitians and others around the world live in squalid conditions under tents. I am focused on picking out just the right house and so many children have neither house nor bed nor food. May God take away the selfishness in my heart.

2 comments:

Les said...

Really glad you're going. Great points, and I have many of the same feelings...even more so when I return from each trip to Haiti. So get ready for more.

norma j hill said...

Great post.... and I do relate.

Maybe because I spend quite a lot of time with people on the street, I often feel ambivalent even about my little 900 sq ft townhouse...

And really question whether I need even the mostly simple things I think I need...