Monday, February 08, 2010

Expanding the Kingdom of God through vigorous legal defense?

I rarely pay any attention to the Google ads that appear on the side of the page when I post something. The other day I saw something squirrely, so I wrote the web address down and finally went to check it out today. That is how I found myself at the webpage of a law firm that advertises through Google, Mauck & Baker. Here is the mission statement from their webpage.

Mauck & Baker is devoted to expanding the Kingdom of God by representing congregations and individuals in every aspect of the exercise of their religious liberties and ministries, including negotiations, administrative proceedings and litigation in state and federal courts. Mauck & Baker represents houses of worship, other religious organizations and individual believers in complex zoning proceedings and other litigation with counties, cities and villages for the protection of their constitutional rights.

Um. I thought the Kingdom was advanced by the preaching of the Word and the humble witness of our lives. They also have a blog with topics that include ways to deal with church conflict, splits, property, interpretation of by-laws, etc. One blog post includes this blurb:

While we seek to avoid litigation in the civil courts wherever possible, there are unfortunately times when it is unavoidable. Matt. 18:15-17.

I am afraid I don’t understand the Scripture reference here. I didn’t realize that the final step in church discipline was that now that they are like gentiles and tax collectors to you, feel free to sue them in civil courts.? I guess I just don’t quite understand this. Or let me rephrase that. I understand it perfectly, but I don’t like it. What happened to:

And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. (Matt 5:40)

Or…

When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints? Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! So if you have such cases, why do you lay them before those who have no standing in the church? I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to settle a dispute between the brothers, but brother goes to law against brother, and that before unbelievers? To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong? Why not rather be defrauded? But you yourselves wrong and defraud—even your own brothers! (1 Cor 6: 1-8)

Doesn’t it seem that both Christ and Paul here are of one mind, that we are not to seek legal recourse? Isn’t it a defeat already when members of the Body of Christ go before an ungodly court, “with no standing in the church” to resolve matters?

So here is my question. Is there ever a situation when it is permissible for a Christian to sue someone, whether you are suing an unbeliever or an institution or whether you are seeking legal redress in the civil courts against another believer? I am not asking for what you think your rights are as an American. I am asking how you should view this as a Christian. Can Christians seek legal remedies in the courts?



Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Steve Scott said...

"Can Christians seek legal remedies in the courts?" Why, absolutely! We do have our own law courts after all. 1 Cor 6:4.

;) or maybe :(

But our Christian law courts should have the attitude, "Hey, we have a disagreement between us here. Can you help solve it for us?"

Anonymous said...

According to scripture, no, I don't think so.