Thursday, February 05, 2015

More On The Minimum Wage

Mike Rowe, formerly the host of Dirty Jobs and currently doing...well I am not sure what besides making a ton of sense on social media, posted something today on his Facebook page that was pretty brilliant in regards to raising the minimum wage. Here is a snippet and it is awesome (emphasis mine):
My exact words were, “Some jobs pay better, some jobs smell better, and some jobs have no business being treated like careers. But work is never the enemy, regardless of the wage. Because somewhere between the job and the paycheck, there’s still a thing called opportunity, and that’s what people need to pursue.” 
Opportunity. That is what we should be after, not clumsy and shallow pandering. I loved it, read the whole thing. Like Mike I look back on my first job and realize that the skills I learned were more valuable than the paycheck I brought home but people don't want to bother with that today, they want to skip the time and hard work and move right to the getting paid more part. It doesn't work that way, it can't work that way and it shouldn't work that way.

No comments: